Florida New Build - Pool, Spa, Fireplace

Rebar is complete and the steel inspection is tomorrow. This photo is from the spa/deep end looking towards the shallow. The plumbing for the spa jets is set and the rest of the plumbing will be done tomorrow. Any thing look amiss?

lC600FH.jpg

How close is the rebar to the plywood on the left. I couldn't tell if there was a few inches between them. There should be some space so the gunite can fully encase the rebar by preferably a couple inches. Similar to the bottom where they typically use dobies to space the rebar off the ground. Same comment on the bottom if it's not elevated. I'm sure it doesn't happen all the time, but is probably a best practice.

Thanks. The dobies are here but not placed yet. They are using (what appears to me to be) small concrete bricks as dobies. I presume they will be placed tomorrow before the inspection. I will check the spacing. Great catches.

You may also want to check the height of your jets in relation to the seat and waterline. This will dictate where they hit your back. We had ours staggered for different areas of the back. Just a suggestion. Most people don't think about this before it's too late and can't really do much other than directional fittings.

Dimensions and depth of pool correct? You'd think everyone would check but they don't. Just in general, check every possible thing at every step. Should you have to, no. Should you? Reading everyone's threads answers that one. :)

Hey, I was thinking of your thread the other day, and can't believe I missed your updates. I noticed the collection of tree roots in your excavation pics, did you have a tree removed from the pool pit? Those were some thick roots that were pulled. They remind me of the longleaf pine lateral roots I've dug up after removing some large pines that were left too close to the house. Stupid tree roots!

Everything looks ok from what I can tell. The main thing with the rebar cage is that the gunite crew shoots the gunite to where the cage sets in as dead-center of the shell as possible. The cage is what provides the pool with its tensile strength.

Another recommendation on double checking all of your measurements. You'll be very unhappy if your waterline measurement is off, this can be measured now from the skimmer down to the bottom of the excavation pit. Also double check your shallow end measurements, light niche location, etc. Check everything now that cannot be reversed post gunite. Sometimes, things are misinterpreted during excavation, and now is pretty close to the last moment to double check everything.

Another thing to double check is the measurements/distances of your screen enclosure footings once they are poured. This is another area where a single mistake can potentially cost you and the builder a lot of frustration and headaches. I know this is far away from now, but also make sure your super gutter or extruded gutter for the enclosure is NOT SEAMED on the straight run! This will save you frustration several years down the road. Several people I know, and some customers of mine (I work for a building supplier that also sells pool enclosure materials, among lumber, concrete, roofing, etc.) complain to me of this on a fairly common basis.

Your pool is going to be awesome. I'm jealous of that screen enclosure. I agree with other recommendations to check the measurements of everything. I sure wish I had done it! Hope everything continues smoothly! :)

Thanks for the advice. Regarding the space between the forms and rebar, it's a uniform 4" pretty much all the way around, which seems good. Depth is very close, maybe an inch or two deeper than plan if they do a 10" shotcrete form. Surprisingly, they are nearly spot on for the dig and rebar.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, minimonster17. We have had a number of trees removed over the years. For the pool, we did have to take a 60' pine (23" diameter). Those are the roots you're seeing. We live in a certified tree city, so we were lucky that the crown was degraded or we wouldn't be building a pool. We will plant two native trees on our lot as replacements. (Easier said that done in the suburbs!)

The cage depth is a pretty uniform 4" with the dobies and 4" from the forms. I think they did a nice job on that, actually. I will be out there today measuring the niche and checking the alignments on the skimmers, etc. So far, we've been very lucky with good work.

Thank you for the tip on the gutter seam. I would have never thought of that!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, jro33176. We are really pleased that we are getting a slightly larger deck (it will finish around 900 sq ft of deck space) and the screen, of course!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They are shooting the pool today with shotcrete. We "lucked out" with an unseasonably cooler day here (started at 50, high in the low 60s) which will allow the shotcrete to cure more slowly and gain more strength. Photos to follow.

- - - Updated - - -

Shotcrete

86NDg1W.jpg

KIzHgQj.jpg

BHjL7TE.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.