electricity + new pump = EEEEEEK!

numberonenole

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2009
Woods of North Florida
Our pump went out and we had to replace it. My husband took off the old one and hooked the new one into the plumbing. He did it as soon as we got it, and said it was amazingly easy, but then stated I needed to read the manual because there was something about grounding in there and he didn't know what to do. I read it but didn't understand it either, then was up way late last night reading all about grounding and bonding. I am pretty sure we did not have either of these with the old pump. Some things I read said you don't have to do bonding and grounding with an above ground pool, but then it seemed that they were talking about temporary pools. Ours is permanent, with no deck, just a plastic ladder. The frame is metal, though. Aluminum I think? I also read that the pump should be 5 feet from the water. Ours has always been within 2 feet. The GFI outlet is also about 2 feet from the water. Y'all are the experts, though, and I need your help.

So...have a new Hayward SP15932S Power-Flo Matrix 1-1/2-Horsepower 2-Speed Above-Ground Pool Pump. What do I need to do besides hooking the plumbing back in and securing it to the pad?

Thanks!

On page 6 of your instructions I'm guessing this is what you have questions on ??

Installation Instructions

Grounding/Bonding
Install, ground, bond, and wire motor according to local or national electrical code requirements.
Permanently ground motor. Use green ground terminal provided under motor canopy or access place; use size and type wire required by code. Connect motor ground terminal to electrical service ground. Bond motor to pool structure. Use a solid copper conductor, size or larger. Run wire from external bonding lug to reinforcing rod or mesh. Connect a No. 8 AWG (8.4 mm 2) solid copper bonding wire to the pressure wire connector provided on the motor housing and to all metal parts of swimming pool, spa, or hot tub, and to all electrical equipment, metal piping or conduit within 5 ft. (1.5 m) of inside walls of swimming pool, spa, or hot tub.

Hooking up the motor is fairly simple but the question on the pools bonding or grounding would be something someone with knowledge of your local codes would need to answer.
This might help you a little to get an idea of what it's referring to - > https://www.google.com/search?q=swi...tbm=isch&q=above+ground+swimming+pool+bonding

Did you install the pool and pump yourselves or did you have a pool company and or electrician install it for you originally ??

On page 6 of your instructions I'm guessing this is what you have questions on ??

Installation Instructions

Grounding/Bonding
Install, ground, bond, and wire motor according to local or national electrical code requirements.
Permanently ground motor. Use green ground terminal provided under motor canopy or access place; use size and type wire required by code. Connect motor ground terminal to electrical service ground. Bond motor to pool structure. Use a solid copper conductor, size or larger. Run wire from external bonding lug to reinforcing rod or mesh. Connect a No. 8 AWG (8.4 mm 2) solid copper bonding wire to the pressure wire connector provided on the motor housing and to all metal parts of swimming pool, spa, or hot tub, and to all electrical equipment, metal piping or conduit within 5 ft. (1.5 m) of inside walls of swimming pool, spa, or hot tub.

Thanks for the replies! That is exactly the part that I was worrying about. The pool was initially installed by someone else, but after 6 years the pump died and we replaced it ourselves. Hooking up the motor WAS pretty easy! I am not familiar with this wiring stuff, however. When the pump was initially installed there was nothing hooked to it. It was just plumbed and plugged in, with no wires for bonding or grounding. We did not have to get any type of permit for the install of the above ground pool, though, so that may be the difference? If it depends on your local codes, does that mean that there is no absolute way that it has to be done? I mean that if it is different based on where you live, it isn't likely to kill us? Otherwise it would be standard for everybody?

If you are out in the country it's possible to get away without a whole bunch of stuff, legally. I think from looking up your new pump it's a 120 volt and it came with a cord that just plugs into and outlet - yes/no ??

Code or not hopefully the circuit is ground fault protected for safety with either a GFI breaker in the main circuit breaker box, remote disconnect box or at the outlet the motor plugs into. If not I'd get one. It may not be required but it can save your behind.

As for the pool this might be more helpful http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/45929-Bonding-an-above-ground-pool

We just got our AG pool installed this summer and did indeed have to have it bonded per local codes. This was written on our permit, and had to pass inspection when completed by our electrician. I live in Upstate NY. Best advice is to check your local codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@NUMBERONENOLE.

How about posting some pictures of what you have. Also, I googled Woods Of North and can not find it as a real place. Can you provide a less cryptic location? This can be important as to codes.

Anytime you start to deal with electricity and water you need to walk slowly. I'm not sure there's a single member on this forum whom would feel like it's perfectly safe to give advice to you and your local codes. I STRONGLY suggest that you avoid any advice given from forum members on this topic with the exception of this quote from Duraleigh.

Many of the electrical codes are local and I would suggest you contact a local POOL electrician who can either advise how to stay within code or do the work for you.

Safety is a MAJOR concern on the forum, and the risk of injury simply isn't worth skipping steps when dealing with electricity and water. A local professional truly is your best/safest bet in this case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.