Wierd small stain on my vinyl liner in the deep end

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
I was vacuuming the pool this evening prior to the pool closing on Monday. There were a few leaves in the shallow & deep end for a few days, but nothing major. As I am vacuuming the deep end grabbing all the leaves I see something small which is not being sucked in through the vacuum, so I shut the filter off and looked closely.

It is a small spot, maybe the size of a quarter that looks like rust, something brown (hard to tell). I grabbed my brush and brushed the area with no success. I used a flashlight and the area looks like an area in your home where the sheet rock and nail or screw start shifting, like an indent, but it is very hard to tell as I am not looking at this head on. The area is a on the wall, about 2 inches before the wall slopes down to the main drains about 2.5' below pool water.

There are no other stains on the pool liner and very few minor dots on the steps. Originally I had the Frog system, but this only lasted about 4 months this year as my pool was opened up real early (long story). The Frog has been removed for a while and this stain was not here a few weeks ago. I am pretty good as spotting any problems.

What could this possibly be and can I use vitamin C to remove this. I can not get my hand down there even if I lay down on the concrete. I can probably get down there with a small soft too brush. The liner is dark and I do not want to do any damage to the liner. BTW, I have tested for metals every few weeks and there is nothing lurking in the water based on the pool company results. I do my own testing and my levels have been perfect from CH, TA, CYA, PH and FC, CC and TC.

What can I purchase and attempt to remove this before the pool is closed on Monday. Thank you.

Thank you CHEM GEEK. I just spoke to the Pool Company and they stated that the liner could be cut with a Toe Nail and that is what could be causing the rust. For now it looks like the stain is gone and it is extremely difficult to determine what it could be. Even though the pool will be closed today, I can peel back the winter cover and check with a flashlight to determine if there is a rip in the liner (which would mean more staining in that one spot over the next week or so). I will report back once a few weeks goes by.

Unfortunately for the pool company then would have to send a diver out in the cold water to repair the damage before it gets worse. The warranty is for 5 years on accidental on the liner and 20 years on the liner for manufacturers defect (I could not believe the warranty either).

Let us hope it was just a fluke stain but hard to tell. Thank you.

I took the plunge and put my head in the water and checked the area. It is a small cut in the liner. Very small (have no idea how it happened) and I am not loosing water. If I am it is so small that is it goes unnoticed. Good news is that I have a 5 year warranty with the pool company so they will be sending someone out to repair the area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.