schedule for back washing

engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
Advice is to backwash before pressure up 25%. For this old filter / glass that would be 1.25 * 17 or 21.

So have been watching the pressure and it never goes up. Finally yesterday after 3 months I saw 19 so backwashed.

The water was really brown. See pic below.

Pool water is clear.

Questions
1) I suppose should just bwash q month regardless of pressure. True?
2) Why does pressure not rise in this old device?
3) Since the water was so dirty, was I actually filtering anything? Or just putting debris back into the water and wasting pump electricity $$?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3744.jpg
    IMG_3744.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 37
Sand filters catch more debris as they get dirtier. If you have oversized filter and low debris, backwashing only a few times a year could be normal. Was the pool nit not clean?

Advice is to backwash before pressure up 25%. For this old filter / glass that would be 1.25 * 17 or 21.

So have been watching the pressure and it never goes up. Finally yesterday after 3 months I saw 19 so backwashed.

The water was really brown. See pic below.

Pool water is clear.

Questions
1) I suppose should just bwash q month regardless of pressure. True? No, False
2) Why does pressure not rise in this old device? As Jason is suggesting it is probably a little oversize for the pool, which is the best way to go. Larger filter smaller pump (within reason)
3) Since the water was so dirty, was I actually filtering anything? Or just putting debris back into the water and wasting pump electricity $$? No, Sand filters actually filter better as they get dirty as strange as that may seem. The dirt becomes extra filter media.

Thank you.
See answers in red

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.