How to drain

May 24, 2012
Ottawa
First time pool owner and am researching and getting ready to close the pool for the first time.

Two questions:

1. Seems silly but, how do I actually drain the pool? I don't have a drain in the pool and my filter doesn't have a backwash feature like most YouTube videos show. Am I stuck going out and buying a submersible pump? I have a pentair sta rite system:3 filter.

2. I have a liner pool with fibreglass stairs. Anything special I need to do with the stairs or just cover them with the rest of the pool?

You can buy a cheap sub pump at your hardware store of choice. It will take quite a while but best bang for buck as you can use for years.
2nd option is to rent a better pump from a location that rents them. Will likely be much faster.
No special treatment needed for stairs, just cover.

Bruce, you might not have a backwash feature, but your filter could still have a port to go to waste. What kind of filter do you have?

Also, in the pool, I assume you are talking about not having a main drain, but you could still drain it through the skimmers.

Bruce, you might not have a backwash feature, but your filter could still have a port to go to waste. What kind of filter do you have?

Also, in the pool, I assume you are talking about not having a main drain, but you could still drain it through the skimmers.
That's a good point. If you can get a good seal and keep prime on a vacuum hose from skimmer, you could drain that way on backwash or to waste.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.