New Pool Owner - Not sure how I'm doing

Sep 11, 2014
Winter Springs, FL
I recently moved into a new home that has an in-ground pool. This pool was a big selling point (especially for my GF), as it it is a really nice pool, that had just been re-surfaced. The water is crystal clear and I hope to be able to keep it that way without hiring a weekly service.

After reading around on this site, i ordered the TF-100 test kit and SpeedStir that everyone seems to recommend. I just received it today, and would like to know if these results seem right. It is an in-ground plaster pool that I estimate to be about 13,500 gallons. I'm not sure of the pool pump or filter brand, but it is a cartridge filter. The water is still very clear.

This is what I got:

Temp: 85
Chlorine: 11
Combined Chlorine (CC): 0 to .5
pH: 7.2
Total Alkalinity: 70
Calcium Hardness: 525
CYA: 70
CSI: -0.26
Temp: 84*F

I got the CSI using the "Pool Math" page. The Total Alkalinity was at 60 a couple days ago (Using a different test kit). I have been adding 1 pound of Baking Soda each day, and it appears to be slowly going up.

The Calcium and Chlorine seem high to me, which I find strange because we had a ton of rain earlier this week. In fact, the water level is still about 3-4 inches higher than last week.

Do these numbers seem right? Should I be concerned about anything?

Thanks
-Matt

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile {I have no idea where Winter Springs is} and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

With no mention of salt, I am going to assume this does not have a SWG. How are you chlorinating? Your CYA is getting a little high and that determines your required FC level. See the FC/CYA Chart. Your FC is a little high, but still safe, you should likely try to maintain it around 8ppm.

The CH is a little high, but there is nothing you can do about that besides replace water with lower CH water.

Beyond that, things look fine.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these if you have not read them already:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thanks for the replies.

I am in Winter Springs, FL.

I've read through several articles, and continue to read up to try to learn more. I don't see any specific problems, and as I mentioned, the water is very clear. But since i'm new, I want to make sure there aren't any problems that I'm not seeing.

I'm not sure what had been used to chlorinate in the past, but I indented to use either household bleach or liquid chlorine. I haven't added any of that because the chlorine levels are consistently testing high. In fact, the only thing i have put in the pool is baking soda.

The pH consistently reads at 7.2, which i guess is the low end of ok. Should i try to bring that up a little bit? Or not worry about it for now?

Thanks

I'm not sure what had been used to chlorinate in the past, but I indented to use either household bleach or liquid chlorine. I haven't added any of that because the chlorine levels are consistently testing high. In fact, the only thing i have put in the pool is baking soda.

The pH consistently reads at 7.2, which i guess is the low end of ok. Should i try to bring that up a little bit? Or not worry about it for now?

Thanks
That's impossible. A FC of 11 will be down to nothing within a couple days. If it stays high, the FC has to be coming from somewhere. My guess is that there is a puck feeder somewhere, since the pH is low and the TA needs constant adjustments. If it were equipped with a SWG, the pH would climb.

If the CYA is 70, that's fine for a SWG pool. If it's being fed with pucks, you're heading for the danger zone, and it's getting worse with every puck.

Are you taking care of the pool 100%, or is there still a pool service?

I'm taking care of the pool 100% now. The guy who had been taking care of it last came on Sept 3rd. He added some liquid Chlorine (I'm not sure how much), and put 2 chlorine Tabs in the skimmer basket. They are now gone. I haven't added any chlorine since (Liquid, pucks or tabs or anything). I bought some test strips, and then a cheap test kit before i started reading on here. Then i bought the TF-100 kit. The strips only go up to 10, and the test kit only up to 5 for chlorine. They were always all the way to the high end of the color scale. Then with the TF-100 kit, It took 22 drops to change color. I even did it twice to be sure. I will test a gain this weekend to see if it is trending down.

Also, on the TF-100 kit, it says test are "easier and more accurate if done indoors". Can I take a bowl of water from the pool and then use that to fill the cylinders inside? Or would that contaminate the sample?

Thanks for your help

It's best to get a small plastic jar or container that you only use for sampling pool water. An empty bottled water would work just fine. When sampling, it's best to immerse the container with opening downward and push it down well below the water surface, then turn the container upright to sample water from that depth rather than the top. I got tired of having a wet arm so I use a 4-5 foot piece of 1/2" PVC pipe to sample water. Put your thumb over one end, dunk the pipe a few feet down, remove your thumb and let water in, then put your thumb back over the end. Quickly pull out of the pool and drain the pipe into your container.

The only test that you should do outdoors is the CYA test as that should be done on a sunny day, with your back toward the sun.

- - - Updated - - -

I "accidentally" brought one of these home from my last job and it's perfect for water samples. Nalgene 500 mL Environmental Sample Bottle

Go to Leslie's and they may still give out water bottles for you to collect samples in ;)

Although these are great:
6231610.jpg

That's impossible. A FC of 11 will be down to nothing within a couple days. If it stays high, the FC has to be coming from somewhere. My guess is that there is a puck feeder somewhere, since the pH is low and the TA needs constant adjustments. If it were equipped with a SWG, the pH would climb.

If the CYA is 70, that's fine for a SWG pool. If it's being fed with pucks, you're heading for the danger zone, and it's getting worse with every puck.

So indeed the Chlorine level is falling. Today it was 6.5. Also, the pH is up to 7.5. Here are all the numbers:

FC = 6.5
CC = 0
Calcium Hardness = 425
Total Alkalinity = 70
CYA = 70
pH = 7.5

When I am using the "PoolMath" page, which presets should I be using? "Traditional Pool" or "TroubleFreePool.com"?

Also, what is my target Free Chlorine? I have read in some places it is 2 to 3, and in others that it should be 8.

I have been adding 1lb of Baking Soda Per day for about 4 days, and the Total Alkalinity is staying right at 70. Should this be higher?

The CYA is at 70 again. You mentioned this is heading to the danger zone (this is not a SWG Pool). Is there anything I should do about this?

Thanks for all your help
-Matt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got tired of having a wet arm so I use a 4-5 foot piece of 1/2" PVC pipe to sample water. Put your thumb over one end, dunk the pipe a few feet down, remove your thumb and let water in, then put your thumb back over the end. Quickly pull out of the pool and drain the pipe into your container.

- - - Updated - - -

Great idea JVTrain !!

thanks, Brian

Welcome to the forum Matt :wave:
Please add your pools info to your signature as outlined here - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

When I am using the "PoolMath" page, which presets should I be using? "Traditional Pool" or "TroubleFreePool.com"?

Also, what is my target Free Chlorine? I have read in some places it is 2 to 3, and in others that it should be 8.

I have been adding 1lb of Baking Soda Per day for about 4 days, and the Total Alkalinity is staying right at 70. Should this be higher?

The CYA is at 70 again. You mentioned this is heading to the danger zone (this is not a SWG Pool). Is there anything I should do about this?

Use TroubleFreePool.

You need to add enough chlorine to keep the FC proportional to the CYA level. There is no one good FC level to have in a pool. There is only the correct FC level for the CYA level to have in a pool. This chart - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock shows that at a CYA level of 70 you should be keeping a daily FC of 8 and try to never let it get under 5 to keep algae from starting and the water sanitary.

With high CYA you end up using more bleach than your would if you were in the 30-50ppm range so it's costing you more money to keep your pool clean. If you have chlorinating tablets stop using them right away and if you find any remove them. They add chlorine and CYA. The chlorine you need daily but the CYA keeps building. Only way to lower it in most cases is to drain water.

For a water sample bottle I use a ketchup bottle (clear restaurant type) from a dollar store. It's cheap has the spout and works great. In fact the spout comes right to the 25 ml line when you invert it in the testing vial.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.