How do I remove a lot of tiny rust spots in my pool from metal shavings

Recently we had the metal gates replaced in our back yard. It turns out the workers cut the gates too close to the pool and a ton of the metal shavings must have entered the pool. There are little rust specks all over the pool floor on the shallow end and in the connected jacuzzi (nearest to where the gates were being cut). Some are clustered closer together and some are more spread out. Basically it's a huge mess. Long story short, I didn't notice it until they were paid and gone. I know it could have been avoided but the damage is done and I'm hoping the experts here will have some good advice/tips on getting it up without breaking the bank. Scrubbing them off by hand is not really an option as there are so many around 1mm-1cm diameter. They seem to be on there pretty good too. It just looks like sand is all over the floor. What are my options here? Is there some kind of a special brush or even a chemical that can be added to clear this up? Your detailed advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached a photo that hopefully helps. The image is of the 1st step into the pool and the camera is about 2ft away to get an idea how small these specs are. The blue tile is probably a 2x2 inch. The white smudge at the top center of the picture is from using a pool stain eraser attachment on a pole.

rust.jpg

The first step would be to remove as much as you can by vacuuming for the rust stains that remain you can try a hydrogen peroxide followed by ascorbic acid treatment. For more on this general topic see this thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...en-Peroxide-for-Removing-Metal-Stains-Results there are other more how to threads out there as well. I had a similar problem when I had the roof over my indoor pool replaced a couple of years ago. In my case I did not need to do anything regarding sequestering the iron once I had the rust stains removed.

When I did mine I used much less than is generally suggested, In my case I lowered my chlorine level to near zero, as the water temperature was still in the 60's (hydrogen peroxide will react with chlorine and neutralize both) then used about 1.5 gallons of 3% Hydrogen peroxide (bought out the local dollar store at $.39 per quart) then after a few hours added about 5 pounds of food grade ascorbic acid (from ebay), I then waited 24 hours and readjusted my pH. This single treatment did remove some of the stains, but mostly it seems to have softened their bond to my pool's vinyl liner so that my robot would vacuum them up. There were a few spots remaining, and I had planned to do another treatment when the water cooled down again after swim season, however over time they disappeared on their own.

Cooler water lowers the chance of an algae outbreak while the chlorine level is low, an alternative is to use a poly quat based algaecide while the FC is low, then you are safer doing the treatment when the water is warm.

Issac-1, I brought my cholrine down to near zero and PH was at 7.2. With the pump running I added 1 1/2 gallons of hydrogen peroxide and 4 hours later every thing looked the same. I then added 5 lbs of the absorbic acid and within 5 minutes the stairs developed black stains and the water turned green. It's been about 45 minutes so I am just wondering if I should be worried or just continue the 24 hours waiting. Im guessing this is not normal. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.