swiching from synergy to bbb

meber

Aug 11, 2008
central kansas
Been running synergy for 2 years now and tend to have problems with cloudy water, mustard alge and water mold, suspect it is due to the low chlorine level synergy runs at 1.5ppm. I have to add (2) 3/4 gal jugs of 6% aldi bleach every day to maintain 3.0ppm. What am I doing wrong.Thanks.

fc 3.0
cc 0.5
ph 7.5
ch 120
alk 130
cya 70

With CYA at 70, you need to maintain FC between 5 and 10 and never below 5.

To clean up the pool you will probably need to shock. With CYA at 70 your FC shock level is around 20.

Keep in mind that various Synergy products contain CYA, and as the CYA level goes up you need to use more and more chlorine. Synergy also contains borates, which is a good thing but more expensive than other sources of borates.

To hold 5-10 ppm, will I than be adding 4 jugs a day. I shocked to 20ppm over the weakend to get it clear, but now is starting to cloud again. I am sure I can get it to 5ppm but am concerned about having to add that much chlorine everyday. Thanks

Total chlorine usage will be lower than before once things stabilize. Right now you are constantly fighting algae. By maintaining proper FC levels the algae will never get started, so you will use less total chlorine.

meber said:
Been running synergy for 2 years now and tend to have problems with cloudy water, mustard alge and water mold, suspect it is due to the low chlorine level synergy runs at 1.5ppm. I have to add (2) 3/4 gal jugs of 6% aldi bleach every day to maintain 3.0ppm. What am I doing wrong.Thanks.

fc 3.0
cc 0.5
ph 7.5
ch 120
alk 130
cya 70
You are doing something wrong then. I use Synergy and have no cloudy water issues. You should not have to add anything. Do you have a auto chlorinator?? Run it wide open and add 1 tab per thousand gallons. I also add 1/2 to 1 cupful of Calcium Hypochlorite( diluted ) once a week if it is extremely hot, other wise I do not add it. Are you adding the clear??. Doing all this once a week has kept my pool almost perfect all summer. Are you using a solar cover?? I did have a algea problem when the water temp got to near 90 and I left the solar cover on, i added a little power 60, shocked and ran the filter 24hrs and it was clear in a day. Since I have taken the cover off I have had no issues. It sounds like all you need to do is add a little shock once a week with you daily routine, doing this should solve your problem.. One more question are you filtering enough??, you should be filtering 10-12 hrs a day if not more.

After reading the BBB system it is interesting, but I am too impressed with synergy at the moment to switch. If I should start to have a problem with it, I will give BBB a shot but not till then.

I have my chlorantor set a 1, I try to get 22 pucks to last a week. If I set it wide open they would bea gone in a couple of days. I do use the clear , I don't use a solar cover. I agree, the pool looks great when things are right. Lately I have had to use double the pucks to keep fc at 1.5, that is why I am making the switch.

Synergy adds CYA to the pool. Once the CYA level gets too high it is no longer practical to keep algae from starting. It can take months, or years, to get to that point. But once your CYA level gets too high you are going to need to replace a significant amount of water. Synergy, like other stabilized chlorine sources, works very well until CYA gets too high and then it really doesn't work at all.

The cloudy water is, most likely, your algae. The 70 CYA is getting pretty high. It's usually the 2nd year on tri-chlor when people start having problems. It's because of the tri-chlor itself, not because you're doing anything wrong. But, yeah, once you get your organics out, it will be a lot easier to maintain your chlorine levels. Also, if you are still using your tri-chlor, you should stop because of the increase of CYA.

I know I'm basically just repeated what Jason said; it's just that I didn't want his advice to get buried in the other "stuff" in this thread. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.