Pool fence requirements the builder never told me about

Sep 30, 2012
Houston,Tx
So, my pool is built and I was red tagged for not having proper fencing. The builder never informed me about this. I Figured my yard is fenced in and I have a electric gate on a timer. I even asked about it. They just said i don't know. Of course they know. Now my only option is to put up a big fence in the middle of my very small back yard. I honestly would rather tear the pool out and put the dirt back in than do that. I have a carport and driveway that separates from the pool. A huge fence would be beyond ugly. I can't just put up a temp fence and tear it down. They will want something that looks perm. I am kind of at a loss. I am beyond ****** right now. The building of this pool has been a terrible experience. Finally, it is all done and then I get this **** sprung on me. I would have never built this pool if I knew this.

What are my options now? The dividing area is sundeck and the concrete driveway. There is about 30 foot of area that needs to be fenced. I want something that I can put up with as little damage as possible after I tear it down. I also don't want to spend a ton of money on this. I don't even feel I should have to spend a penny.

Most cities have ordinances related to pool enclosures as well. It is up to property owners to know these codes. It is very common for cities to require 6 foot high fence completely surrounding pool area or larger area with a locking gate.

I have never seen a pool fence in my entire life on any pool. I have been in plenty of them.
Give your homeowners insurance company a call and ask their requirements. When we purchased our current home they (the insurance company) had a private inspector come out and look at the pool and the fence/self closing gates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not true where I live. My insurance company is well aware of my setup.

When code requires it and you don't have it, the liability is too high for an insurance company to mess with insuring you. As a matter of fact, if they insure you and you are sued, they may be able to avoid liability by showing that you were knowingly in violation of local rules. It would not be pretty.

Pearland, TX required only a self closeing latch on my enclosed back yard fence and two small $10 alarms on my doors leading out to the pool area. PB should have provided you with all info on extra costs. Who is your PB? did you go with Premier?

Sec. 43-6. Facilities: minimum standards.
(a)
Except as provided in subsection (b), the City adopts minimum standards for facilities that are identical to those pool safety standards contained in the following state and federal laws, all of which are incorporated herein:
(1)
The VGBA;
(2)
Chapter 757 of the Texas Health and Safety Code; and
(3)
Subchapters L and M of Chapter 265 of Title 25 of the Texas Administrative Code.
(b)
The provisions of Section 265.208 of Title 25 of the Texas Administrative Code shall not apply to enforcement of this chapter.
(c)
The operator of a facility shall maintain the facility in accordance with the pool safety standards adopted by the City pursuant to subsection (a).

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/HS/pdf/HS.757.pdf

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/tac/index.shtml

Bridging 30 Ft should be fairly easy, you are looking at 4 8 ft sections of prebuilt fencing and 3 to 5 posts depending on if the ends could be mounted to the structure of the house. In that length you could probably even get a nice black aluminum fence installed for under $500 plus labor, but like others have said photos would really help us understand your situation better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.