Is this salt water / SWG damage on my coping?

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
My pool is at the end of it 4th season and I'm seeing some cracks in the concrete and some chips coming off the coping.

Is this the result of the SWG? Also, are my coping stones the wrong kind for use with an SWG?

Thanks!
Bart

Attachments

• pooldeck1.jpg
    pooldeck1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 232
  • pooldeck2.jpg
    pooldeck2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 235
  • pooldeck3.jpg
    pooldeck3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 230
I agree with @zimm. It looks like water infiltration/freezing damage. Especially the mortar in between your stone coping. That looks like standard thermal expansion cracking. That is easily repaired and/or patched.

Look at the top of the tile line in the pool starting at the top of the tile. Do you see any separation or gap between the top of the tile and bottom of the coping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks folks!

Yes, Sunny, there is some separation between the top of the tile and the coping in certain spots. What does that mean? More freeze damage? I drain the pool to below the tile line before closing it in winter and cover the pool with a "solid" cover that covers the entire pool and all of the coping.

You need to seal those separations with a water tight sanded caulk or grout intended for pool use. If you allow water to infiltrate between the bond beam and the coping, any trapped water under the coping will freeze over winter and cause the coping to shift and move. That is why your mortar is cracking - water is infiltrating that area and cause the ground beneath it to shift.

Can you probe the separations to see how deep they go? Something like a very thin metal or plastic spatula night work or a thin plastic flexible ruler.

Salt damage on stone usually appears as erosion. It just looks like accelerated weathering of the surface. As the others said, that looks like frost damage. If those cracks aren't sealed up watertight, when winter comes it will get worse.

The separations between the tile line and the coping are critical. You have a giant source of water just inches away from them. The pool area will always be warmer and more humid than the surrounding area. Even if water doesn't splash there (a big IF) then water vapor will condense and freeze in those gaps. That can easily lead to more cracking.

The surface cracks in the mortar between the coping are easier to fix. Those are secondary in my opinion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with the others that it is not salt damage.

I think that some of the damage is likely due to freezing water.

I think that there might be other stresses in the stones due to inadequate expansion joints. While it looks like there is some expansion joint, it does not look like it is complete. Also, some expansion joint might look good on the surface, but be insufficient underneath.

Unfortunately I don't have any perfect pictures of the pool and deck on my phone and the pool is at our little weekend place, so I can get more shots tomorrow, but here's the best of what I have right now:

(I can send full size images too, if you need to zoom in on a specific area)

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 104
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 104
  • pool3.JPG
    pool3.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 106
  • pool4.jpg
    pool4.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 106
  • pool5.jpg
    pool5.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 106
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.