Multiport Valve Handle Frozen

Sep 9, 2014
Winter Springs
I have a Hayward SP710 multiport valve that I thought had a bad spider gasket. After a bit of reading I'm not so sure. Apparently, the sign that the gasket is bad is leakage into the backwash hose. My problem is that the handle won't turn. It had been getting harder to turn recently (I have to drain my pool frequently due to LOTS of rain) and now it won't budge. Is there anything that might need lubricant/repair/replacement that would cause this problem? Do I need to replace the whole key cover and handle assembly? (I hope not; pretty pricey!)

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.

Welcome to TFP!

They are actually fairly easy to take apart to see what is going on inside. It takes a while, but the work is fairly simple.

I've removed the bolts but can't get the cover off. I read that some valves require that the selector handle be in the "winterize" position. My valve has "filter", "waste", "closed", "backwash", "recirc." and "rinse" - no "winterize". I could try prying it but don't want to damage anything. Any thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Another point: since I can't move the handle, I couldn't put it on "winterize", even if I had that choice.

I've removed the bolts but can't get the cover off. I read that some valves require that the selector handle be in the "winterize" position. My valve has "filter", "waste", "closed", "backwash", "recirc." and "rinse" - no "winterize". I could try prying it but don't want to damage anything. Any thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Another point: since I can't move the handle, I couldn't put it on "winterize", even if I had that choice.

The handle is spring loaded. Are you able to push the handle down like you do to release it to turn it?

I backwashed over the weekend and I thought I was going to break the handle trying to get it to turn. Luckily I finally got it moving and it was easy to spin after that. I did not take it apart to check if there was anything to lube up or not to prevent the same issue.

Well, I got the lid off and pulled the whole thing apart. I discovered a few issues. The spider gasket did need replacing as it was broken in two places, the non-metallic bearing looked pretty bad and one end of a ring (nylon? teflon?) on the shaft next to an o-ring was sticking out of the groove it was in and was bent. The repair kit I had included the spider gasket, cover o-ring, a shaft o-ring and non-metallic bearing. I replaced all. Since the kit didn't include the shaft ring that was bent and I wasn't about to leave it in the way it was, I left it out. Also, there was only one washer for the spring and I feel like there should have been one on each end. I went ahead and put it all back together and re-installed.

It seems to be working fine but the missing parts bother me. If anyone knows the importance of that shaft ring and whether or not there should be two washers for the spring, please let me know. If they're critical I'll try to locate the parts and put them in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.