Any reason not to run with a CYA of 90?

Aug 1, 2008
30,000 IG

FC 13
PH 7.4
ALK 90
CYA 90

My pool is in full sun and always has a water temp in the high 80's. The water is crystal clear. My numbers are always stable and I only add bleach once a week (big bottle of clorox). Chlorine level is always 13-15. Is there any reason to lower my CYA?

The two main disadvantage with this approach is that the PH tends to read a little higher than actual when FC levels are in the 13 to 15 range so PH is tricky to set exactly and if you ever did get algae it would take quite a lot of chlorine to fight the algae.

You shouldn't get algae, but sometimes something unexpected can let algae get started anyway. If you keep ahead of your pool, add extra chlorine before major storms or big swim parties, and don't leave it alone too long, you should be fine for a good long time.

Very high CYA levels are making a trade off, more convenience day to day in exchange for bigger problems when something does go wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.