Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any reason not to run with a CYA of 90?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any reason not to run with a CYA of 90?

30,000 IG

FC 13
    PH 7.4
    ALK 90
    CYA 90

My pool is in full sun and always has a water temp in the high 80's. The water is crystal clear. My numbers are always stable and I only add bleach once a week (big bottle of clorox). Chlorine level is always 13-15. Is there any reason to lower my CYA?
    Pool Type: Alantis 18 Ft Round, 52" Above Ground Pool
    Pump: Sta-Rite JQPA5E
    Sand Filter: Sta-Rite T-200BP-1
    Vacuum: Basic one that came with pool, and a Sta-Rite Lil' Shark

Chemical Brand: BioGuard

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any reason not to run with a CYA of 90?

The two main disadvantage with this approach is that the PH tends to read a little higher than actual when FC levels are in the 13 to 15 range so PH is tricky to set exactly and if you ever did get algae it would take quite a lot of chlorine to fight the algae.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I shouldn't get algae if I maintain the high chlorine level, correct? Or, am I flirting with disaster?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

4. Back To Top    #4

You shouldn't get algae, but sometimes something unexpected can let algae get started anyway. If you keep ahead of your pool, add extra chlorine before major storms or big swim parties, and don't leave it alone too long, you should be fine for a good long time.

Very high CYA levels are making a trade off, more convenience day to day in exchange for bigger problems when something does go wrong.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. I'll lower it a bit next summer. Also, I added 200 lbs. of salt to the pool....the best thing I've added since bleach. Really knocks the edges off the water.

Thanks,
    Jeremy