Muriatic Acid vs Cyanuric Acid

Sep 8, 2014
Augusta, GA
I'm new to both pool ownership/maintaince and this site but I've been reading everything that I can to better educate myself. I noted here the reference to Muriatic Acid but I am confused about its use as compared to Cyanuric Acid. I've found CYA in granular form only but do they also sell it in liquid form?

Is this a new fill? If so then you are starting with 0ppm of CYA. If not, you CYA may not actually be zero is any dichlor or trichlor chlorine was used or CYA was added in the past.

@pwrstrk-Thanks, will do. Also does pool math or the product tell you how much granular product to use to begin with as I'm starting out with nothing. I will test to confirm once my Taylor 2006 test kit arrives this week.
Yes, Pool math can tell you how much.

As Jason said, if you have used tabs or powered shock you will hae CYA in the water as both contain it. But when adding CYA please do it in two or three additions. Use Pool Math to figure what you need thne ad about 3/4 of that. CYA takes up to a week to appear on your test, so wait at least that long before you test again. Then add more to get to your target.

The reasoning between breaking it up is that the only easy way to get rid of CYA if you put too much in is a water exchange.

It's a new fill: the only thing I have added was bleach to hopefully reduced algae growth while filling. I am on city water so it will have some chlorine. According to the pool store my ph was 7.4 but I can't confirm that until my test kit arrives later this week.

If you could add all your pool, equipment and location to your sig line that will help us help you better.
I would start adding the CYA now. Without it your going to lose all your chlorine to the sun. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We know your new that's why we want to help you get started out on the right foot.
Any questions don't hesitate to ask us. ��

Well I tried to update my signature in order to put my pool info in it but it won't allow me to type in that field! I have placed it in my bio for now and will try again using a different web browser on Friday. But here is my basic info for now:
Johnny Weissmuller 18x52 AG Round ( approx 8,600 gal), 1 HP Pro Line Pump, Hayward Dream Line High Rate Sand Filter (45 GPM Flow Rate) with Vari-Flo XL Valve, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

I took the advice about getting some CYA in the pool and purchased some Stabilizer (granular) made by Aqua Chem however it doesn't specify the active chemicals. So, is it safe to assume that this is Cyanuric Acid? If so, using the pool math calculator is shows the following:Add 57 oz by weight or 60 oz by volume of stabilizer. Hopefully my test kit will arrive tomorrow and I can get the wife to test to verify the pool stores water analysis before I add anything.

Ok experts I need assistance again now that my Taylor Test Kit has arrived and just like a kid a christmas I can't wait to play with it!

After watching the videos at the taylor web site about my kit I decided it was time to test my skill. Here are my results based upon the few test that I attempted.

Test # 1 9/12/14 at 7:30 PM

Water Temp 82 degrees F

CYA-0 (which doesnt surprise me as I have yet to add anything other than 8.25% Bleach while filling)

FC-0 (using the 25 ml sample I added the 2 dippers of R-0870) sample didn't change colors so I stopped there.

PH Test (Using the 44 ml mark I added the 5 drops of R-0004, inverted to mix, matched sample to 7.0-7.2) Due to low PH value I did the Base Demand test using above sample and added 2 drops of R-0006 and acheived a range of 7.2-7.4.

Plugged my numbers into poolmath formula and if I understand the program correctly it suggest adding the following:

52 oz of 8.25 bleach
31/29 oz of borax (weight/volume)
46/48 oz of stabilizer

Does that all sound correct? if so, as I stated above I purchased a 3 lb bottle of granular stablizer made by aqua chem however it doesn't list the active ingredients. Is it safe to assume that it is cyanuric acid?

Thanks for the prompt reply. Does it matter if I add all 3 at roughly the same time? I have read that it's best to do the cya in a sock and to use a little less that prescribed so as to ease into my reading since it takes a while to fully get into my system.

With 0-FC and 0-CYA should I consider adding a one time dose of shock from the pool store and then resume the TFP method after self testing my water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.