Use of Clorox liquid bleach.

Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is because I have used the floating cartridges that slowly dispense chlorine to protect the pool from algae until the water gets cold enough to avoid algae problems. These floating cartridges dispense chlorine and therefore I thought that pouring small amounts of Clorox around the perimeter of the pool under the safety cover would accomplish the same thing. I still wonder why that would not be possible.

I agree with PAgirl. You need some way to circulate into water. And if like me you close the pool and blow out/anti-freeze the lines, turning on the pump is not an option. I guess you could add some and somehow manually cycle the water, but as mentioned, below 60 degrees it will not matter for algae.

This is an IG pool PAgirl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is because I have used the floating cartridges that slowly dispense chlorine to protect the pool from algae until the water gets cold enough to avoid algae problems. These floating cartridges dispense chlorine and therefore I thought that pouring small amounts of Clorox around the perimeter of the pool under the safety cover would accomplish the same thing. I still wonder why that would not be possible.
It is obviously possible to do, but it really isn't doing much more than making you feel better. Without circulation in the pool (pump running) you end up with hot spots of highly chlorinated water around the floater (or edge of the pool if you use the bleach) and no or little chlorine anywhere else. The chlorine can't mix without circulation.

I agree with PAgirl. You need some way to circulate into water. And if like me you close the pool and blow out/anti-freeze the lines, turning on the pump is not an option. I guess you could add some and somehow manually cycle the water, but as mentioned, below 60 degrees it will not matter for algae.

This is an IG pool PAgirl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoops, don't know why I thought AGP.

With Trichlor tabs in a floating feeder with no circulation, it's not just the high chlorine levels but the very low pH that can be damaging especially to vinyl. So unless you were to tie that floater to stay in the middle of the pool, you could damage your vinyl if the floater stayed in one place for too long near the edge. When I first used Trichlor tabs in my pool over 10 years ago, my floating dispenser parked itself near some stainless steel mounts in the pool and rusted them and this was during the swim season, not over the winter. Just having the feeder there with the pump off for around 16 hours per day was enough to cause the damage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Trier, You should SLAM the pool and cover. It will be fine. If you can leave the pool open til the water gets colder, all the better but if you must close now, just SLAM to your CYA level and open around mid April.

With Trichlor tabs in a floating feeder with no circulation, it's not just the high chlorine levels but the very low pH that can be damaging especially to vinyl. So unless you were to tie that floater to stay in the middle of the pool, you could damage your vinyl if the floater stayed in one place for too long near the edge. When I first used Trichlor tabs in my pool over 10 years ago, my floating dispenser parked itself near some stainless steel mounts in the pool and rusted them and this was during the swim season, not over the winter. Just having the feeder there with the pump off for around 16 hours per day was enough to cause the damage.
Yeah. I accidentally left a floater with residual trichlor pucks over winter one year(prior to TFP) and ended up with a nice bleached out streak on my 1 year old liner in the deep end. Definitely a no- no.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.