Filter confusion

I am a new in ground pool owner and trying to figure out exactly what I have and how to operate it.

I had what I thought was a DE filter. I was able to find the part number and it is a Pentair 160316. I put an image of it in my post here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/85088-New-pool-owner

After searching online for the manual, it is listed as a cartridge filter. Ok fine, it's a cartridge filter. But further reading in the manual shows the following: "When the cartridge element filter is used on new pools and after cleaning the elements, introduce into the system .5 pounds of diatomaceous earth per every 100 square feet of filter area, (a one-pound coffee can equals .5 pounds of diatomaceous earth). Mix the diatomite with water and pour it into the skimmer after the pump is primed and the system is operating. This will enhance the filtration of your water."

So is it a DE filter or cartridge filter? Or technically both? Is it normal for cartridge filters to have DE in them? Do I actually need to do this? Where do you buy DE?

I still need to drain some water out of the pool due to the rain we have had here lately. With this type of filter, can I use the drain that is on it? There are no other drain areas that I can find anywhere else in the system. The manual says nothing other than calling it a "drain cap assembly." If I do this, will I need to introduce DE back into the system?

Last edited:
The manual talks about adding DE as a filter aid, in the case of your filter they are talking about 1/2 pound of DE (1/2 pound of DE per 100 sq ft filter size, yours is a 100 sq ft filter). Adding DE as a filter aid is common option when you need to enhance filtering with a sand filter, but I have never heard of it with a cartridge filter. With an actual DE filter you would be looking at using 10 times that much DE or more.

Ike

p.s. a 1 pound coffee can is a lousy way to measure DE, but is a common industry recommendation, plus in the era of plastic containers, and single size coffee packs, where does one even find a 1 pound coffee can anymore. Even those DE scoops sold in pool stores can be off by about 25-30% compared to weighing depending on densely packed they are.

The manual talks about adding DE as a filter aid, in the case of your filter they are talking about 1/2 pound of DE (1/2 pound of DE per 100 sq ft filter size, yours is a 100 sq ft filter). Adding DE as a filter aid is common option when you need to enhance filtering with a sand filter, but I have never heard of it with a cartridge filter. With an actual DE filter you would be looking at using 10 times that much DE or more.

Ike

p.s. a 1 pound coffee can is a lousy way to measure DE, but is a common industry recommendation, plus in the era of plastic containers, and single size coffee packs, where does one even find a 1 pound coffee can anymore. Even those DE scoops sold in pool stores can be off by about 25-30% compared to weighing depending on densely packed they are.

Thanks. I don't plan on using it now.

- - - Updated - - -

Last question I have for now is whether or not I can use the "drain cap assembly" to drain some water out after our recent rain. I haven't really looked at it to see if I can connect a hose to it though. If I do use this would I basically open it up and turn the pump on and let the water drain?

Okay, I got the answer from Pentair:

Pentair recommends adding the DE to the filter at startup on a newly plastered pool. The DE prevents the plaster dust from hardening on the cartridge.

I don't see any reason that you could not use the drain cap assembly to drain some water from your pool, although you probably don't want to use it for that function on a regular basis unless you install a cut off valve there.

I don't see any reason that you could not use the drain cap assembly to drain some water from your pool, although you probably don't want to use it for that function on a regular basis unless you install a cut off valve there.

I thought the same. I used it last night and was able to get the water level where I wanted it relatively quickly.

I would like to put a valve there to make it easier. What sort of valve would I need to use?

A better solution might be to add a 3-way valve between the pump and the filter that you could then use as a waste valve. You would get a higher flow rate out and would not be sending the water through the filter.

Although I recall other members adding valves on the filter drain port ... I think they just used PVC ball valves, but they have a tendency to get stiff, difficult to turn, and the handles break.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A better solution might be to add a 3-way valve between the pump and the filter that you could then use as a waste valve. You would get a higher flow rate out and would not be sending the water through the filter.

Although I recall other members adding valves on the filter drain port ... I think they just used PVC ball valves, but they have a tendency to get stiff, difficult to turn, and the handles break.

Thanks. I can physically put a valve in either location but the drain port is a lot easier as I would not need to cut anything and it is already pointing in the direction I would route the hose in anyway. The flow out of here was great as I was able to drop my water level a few inches pretty quickly last night.

I will check out some plumbing options later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.