I'm chicken to take my light out...tell me it's ok?

Sandra B

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 8, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I've had my pool for 4 years now, using TFP for 3 of them, and I love my pool! I have never cleaned inside my light niche because I'm chicken to take out an electric light in water!!!!! And I work for an electric company. So, if I turn off the 2 breakers in my pool breaker box where my light switch is, and get in the water to take the screw out and take the light out (it's too low in the pool to do it from the side, and anyways whether I'm fully in the pool or only partially when I get electrocuted it won't matter), then you SWEAR to me I won't get electrocuted????? Is there water in the niche, so that if there was a short or an exposed wire, it would have already shorted out so that's how I know the unit is intact? The light works fine now, I just want to see what's behind it, if it doesn't kill me. :)

Thanks!

Yes there is water in the niche. The light assembly is sealed. So your odds of electrocution (which are zero if the breaker is off anyways) are the same whether the light is in the niche or hanging out of it. There is a wire coiled up behind the fixture so you can lift it onto the deck.

The light is sealed in a housing. The housing is held in the pool niche by a single screw. Removing that screw will allow the housing to be removed from the niche, but the housing remains sealed. There is a cord comming out of the back of the housing that is coiled in the niche behind the housing. That allows you to bring the light housing up out of the water and rest it on the pool deck in order to open it and replace the bulb. That same cord runs through a conduit that is flooded with pool water and comes up to a junction box well above the pool water level, somewhere in your equipment area. If the light housing is opened you should replace the seal with a new one. If you just want to clean out the niche behind the light Do Not Open The Housing.

One thing I discovered is if there is any water in the light housing you run a good chance of tripping the GFCI that protects the light. So after moving the light housing if you lose power, look for the GFCI to be tripped. Once reset you should have no problems.

LOL... Im sorry, but the part about swearing to you that wont get electrocuted just cracked me up!
:laughblue:

I've had my pool for 4 years now, using TFP for 3 of them, and I love my pool! I have never cleaned inside my light niche because I'm chicken to take out an electric light in water!!!!! And I work for an electric company. So, if I turn off the 2 breakers in my pool breaker box where my light switch is, and get in the water to take the screw out and take the light out (it's too low in the pool to do it from the side, and anyways whether I'm fully in the pool or only partially when I get electrocuted it won't matter), then you SWEAR to me I won't get electrocuted????? Is there water in the niche, so that if there was a short or an exposed wire, it would have already shorted out so that's how I know the unit is intact? The light works fine now, I just want to see what's behind it, if it doesn't kill me. :)

Thanks!

One more caution. Never turn the light on unless it is sealed up and under water. It will overheat and ruin the bulb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.