Another Air Pillow Question

Apr 18, 2014
United States
Hi everyone, I've been reading the different threads on here about air pillows and they have been helpful enough for me to decide that I need/want to use them here in Western PA especially with the bad winter we are predicted to get.

We replaced the 27' pool that came with the house we bought in October. The summer in our area was pretty cool, and unfortunately we didn't get to use the pool as much as we liked. Oh well...

Anyway, there's one question I don't really see much guidance on... I'm looking around at my options for air pillows. I've seen 4'x4', 4'x8' and 4'x15'. What size would work best for a 27' round AG pool? How many? A combo of more than one? Are there other options I'm not seeing?

Any other advice on cold, snowy winter pool maintenance is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

bjagd02 -

Good question. I'm on the other side of PA and know what you mean about the cool summer and not using the pool much. Same here unfortunately.

For our 24' foot above ground pool, over the years I've used different sizes and numbers of pillows. One year I used one 4x4 pillow and it worked fine. The next year I used (2) 4x4's as I heard it would be better for my size pool. That year one of them busted during the winter with the harsh cold and ice we had so it was nice to know I had a backup in the pool. Last year I used (2) 4x8's and one of those busted on me. I think this year I will still use two pillows just in case one breaks as I don't want to risk having to remove the cover (which would be near impossible if we get a lot of snow and ice) or damage the pool.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. For my situation, I don't like the idea of having a pillow break during the winter and then I'm left with no protection for the freezing temperatures I know will be coming. So I will be using two pillows - whatever size the pool company has available (4x4 or 4x8.)

I'm about to close my pool as well, and also trying to decide what to do about an air pillow. In my case, I started with two pillows the first year we closed the pool, and found that my cover wasn't big enough to go down to the water before reaching the sides of the pool. I pulled one out, and it was some better. Last year I only used one pillow, and it deflated (not popped) within a few weeks. Last year was cold as it gets here (NE Ohio, same weather you had I assume), and I'm sure the pool was frozen solid. No issues with ice; I doubt the pillow provides any benefit there.

I've been reading other posts here on the subject, and have seen several references to making sure the pillow is only partially inflated. The idea is once the extra pressure builds on the pillow, it can deflate/burst if there is no room for expansion. That seems like a good idea, I plan to do that with my single pillow this year.

The cover is getting old and worn, this is probably the last season I'll use it. Next year, I'll get a bigger cover...

When I bought my cover this year I was talking to the woman at the register about pillows and that they never worked for me. She said that I had too much air and you should be able to touch both sides together in the middle. Now I just use two of the pool floats that are circles tied together in the center.

JoeSelf, how do you mean tied together in the center? Instead of spending the money on a pillow, I too was thinking about just using two innertube like floats that we have. I was planning to stuff one inside the other in a figure-8 like shape. We don't get super hard freezes where I am. I expect the surface to get 1/4 to 1/2 thick ice during the coldest part. But my main goal was just to keep the water from collecting on the cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.