N. IL;closing INTEX Pool;drained below pump hole; did not shock;Anything else needed?

Jabo

Jun 15, 2014
Freeport IL
Unfortunately, I did not read the closing instructions well enough before we started the closing process. Pool water below the pump intake valve now. I did not shock the pool first. Here are my levels this morning:
FC 8.5
PH 7.8
TA 190
CYA 45

I bought a winter cover; pillow; and AquaPill to treat the water for winterizing. Pool water is clean. Is the AqualPill (from Pool Supply World) all that I need to put in the water for my climate? Someone there said I could add antifreeze to the water. Is that done? I assumed the water would freeze, but stay clear because of the AquaPill.

I am a new pool owner this year. I am supposed to take the pool down, but have read that many INTEX POOL OWNERS leave this pool up year round and winterize. Just not sure what that means, even by reading the specific INTEX POOL OWNERS guide. We plan to leave the pool up; temperatures could get as low as 35 degrees below zero; wind chill can be double that.

If I read correctly, the danger I may experience is if the weather here warms up the pool water and algae grows. Can anyone comment further? Should I add bleach to my water before inserting the AquaPill? I do not have the pump available to circulate the water. Is that a problem now? Thinking I will just add the AquaPill and close. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Hmm, good question. Normally I am so careful with chemicals, but the marketing took over here! I have no idea what is in it (embarassed) It says a clarifier, scale inhibitor, stain inhibitor, and natural enzymes. I don't know what is in it exactly. I talked to a friend who shocked his pool and that was all, then he closed it. I was going to add bleach enough to get a shock value reading for a Salt Water pool and then add this ball and close. What do you think?

By the way, I know Mexico MO, my brother works there. Nice town.

Here is the product information copied from the website:
The WinterPill makes winterizing convenient and springtime opening easier than ever.
Winterizing Accessory Features:
One pill lasts up to six months
Contains a clarifier, scale inhibitor, stain inhibitor, and enzyme enhancement
Available in two sizes: AP75 for pools up to 15,000 gallons and AP71 for pools up to 30,000 gallons
The WinterPill makes winterizing convenient and springtime opening easier than ever. This innovative formula is specially designed to slowly release a blend of four chemicals that preserve your water chemistry and reduce maintenance. The WinterPill is ideal for use with winter covers and safety covers and is compatible with all filter and pool types.

Equipped with a clarifier for beautiful, clear water, a scale inhibitor for buildup prevention, and a stain inhibitor to protect your pool's surfaces, the WinterPill is also packed with natural enzymes that fight contaminants and leave your water healthy and clean. To use, simply pierce the Pill in its designated areas and leave it to float in your pool for up to six months.
Highlights:
Great for all filter and pool types
Great for all filter and pool types
The WinterPill is safe for use in cartridge, sand, and DE filtration systems. It is compatible with all pool surface types and can be used in in-ground and above ground pools
Use with all types of sanitizers
Use with all types of sanitizers
Use the WinterPill with salt chlorine generators, chlorine, and mineral sanitizers. The chemicals in the WinterPill will not interfere with your current sanitization method, and the enzymes in its unique formula will actually improve your current sanitizer's efficiency
Perfect for winter and mesh safety covers
Perfect for winter and mesh safety covers
The chemicals in the WinterPill are safe for the cover and will keep your water balanced and healthy as rain water and snow melt filter into the pool through the mesh cover

Last edited:
How much did this pill run you? If you can return it, do so!

You do know you should never add something to your water if you have no idea what it is and what it does. It is also very unnecessary in closing.

SLAM your pool, cover it and call it a season. Its really that simple!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.