Ph question with SWG

So, ever since having a Aqua Rite SWG installed, I am having trouble controlling my Ph. I can get it down to the 7.4-7.5 range for a few hours with the addition of Acid and then in creeps back up to 7.9-8.0 range. I so have a waterfall and read on this site that the waterfall might be casing the higher Ph. Here are my numbers, what so you suggest.

FC 5-6 range
CYA 100
Alk: 70
Cal: 180
Salt:3400
PH: 7.9 - 8.0.

I have did turn the waterfall off this morning to see if this has an impact.

What should my next steps be? Pool water is clear and algae free.

The waterfall raises your pH - any aeration (i.e. moving water) raises pH.

I have a 4' sheer decent waterfall and have to add muratic acid regularly to keep the pH in check. It is just part of having a waterfall.

Stop by Lowes and pick up a gallon of Muratic Acid in the paint department. Use Pool Math to figure out how much you need to add.

Turning off the waterfall will reduce your pH rise.

Let's see if the water fall being off has any affect. You may need to use it less to keep PH in check.
Your TA looks good. Your CYA is high. For a SWG we suggest it's in the 70-80 ppm range. ?

Your TA looks good. Your CYA is high. For a SWG we suggest it's in the 70-80 ppm range. ��
Darn, I missed that.

As 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. While the full instructions are in the Pool School, here is the short version. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. If still at a 100 you will need to dilute more. Here is a great chart by JamesW to explain dilution rates and what you multiply the results by to get an approximation of your CYA level.

Pool water......Tap or distilled water.........Multiply result by

Some here are able to control their pH by lowering TA and keeping aeration to a minimum. I'm not able to get TA lower than 70 because of my high TA fill water and I also have a spill over spa (it's not really a waterfall--the water spills over and falls anywhere from 0-1" depending on the water level). So I just accept the fact that I need to add about a quart of MA each week to lower pH from around 8.0. Except for topping up CYA and borates, it's about all I have to add to my pool. For me, it still beats hauling gallons of bleach each week and adding it every day.

Adding borates would help stabilize the pH. They won't reduce the total amount of acid you will need to add, just keep the pH from bouncing so quickly. You acid additions become larger but less frequent.

But, a SWG always causes pH rise and any water feature that aerates the water will also cause pH rise. Just the nature of the things.

If you have the time and money to spend, you could also consider an acid injection system that runs on a time-based method (duty cycle method). Pentair sells their IntelliPH systems which is nothing more than an acid Stenner pump that feeds acid into the water stream at a rate you program into it (usually percentage of a fixed time period only while SWG is running). I'm sure Hayward sells a similar system.

Others might suggest a system that uses a pH probe to automate the control signal (Pentair IntelliChem system) but my opinion is that is overkill for most residential pools and adds an extra layer of expense for probe replacement.

You can look up IntelliPH on the Chemical Automation Threads to see what others have done.

Roughly a $1000 for the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the time and money to spend, you could also consider an acid injection system that runs on a time-based method (duty cycle method). Pentair sells their IntelliPH systems which is nothing more than an acid Stenner pump that feeds acid into the water stream at a rate you program into it (usually percentage of a fixed time period only while SWG is running).

An acid dispenser would be dreamy...I will add that to my wish list.

Heather
28,000 gallon, gunite, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Pentair filter, attached spa

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.