Cal-hypo pellets needed

AnnaK

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2007
Eastern Pennsylvania
This isn't about our pool but about our well. If the BBB Method isn't the right place to post this, please move it to a more appropriate sub-board.

We have a 450' deep well with the water level at 260'. The well water contains hydrogen sulfide which makes the water smell really REALLY bad, common in this part of Pennsylvania. Our water treatment plant includes a chlorine injector which broke down yesterday and requires a part that has to be special ordered.

To sanitize the water we shock the well with cal-hypo pellets, and we're out! I need to find a new supply of this stuff but all I've found so far is a bulk supplier.

What we have presently is a jar containing 4 lbs of calcium hypochlorite 72%, other ingredients 28%, available chlorine 72%. These are small white pellets, approximately the size of a cranberry. They have to be pellets so they drop all the way down the well head and not blow back or get stuck on the sides of the pipe like powder or granules might.

I'm hoping that one of the pool professionals might know of a source where I can buy such a 4 pound jar.

Thanks for your help!!!!

A well can be shocked with bleach. I believe I remember that the level to shoot for is 50ppm, but that is what is need to prepare the well when it is new. I know I had to find the volume of the well casing from the bottom to the water level and pour in enough bleach to reach the 50ppm.

If you know how much chlorine you need, you can probably use bleach.

We use a manganese filter to get rid of our H2S, but ours occurs naturally and is not a byproduct of iron reducing bacteria. Yours is apparently a bacteria issue since you have a chlorine injector.

In our case they're sulfate reducing bacteria but the smell is the same.

I'll have a look at Home Depot here to see if they carry the pellets. I prefer pellets over LC though that's what I'm using for now. It's a little more of a hassle using the liquid but it sure is better than nothing!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.