Priming help

Hey all, long story short I came outside the other morning and my pump was off. I tried turning it off and back on and just got a humming noise before the pump shut off. I brought the pump into a small engine repair place and they tested the capacitor, it was dead. After replacing that and hooking everything back up the pump still isn't pumping. The impeller does turn freely though.

I filled the pump basket area with water and opened the air relief on top of my filter before turning on. I waited for water to come out of the relief valve and water appears to be entering the pump, there is water to the top. There is also water coming out of the return jets, but the pump is making a very loud, odd noise, very different than the normal pumping noise. I also noticed there is a 0 pressure reading on my filter. Any ideas on what could be going on or am I just priming the pump wrong? Appreciate the help!

Do you know if the pump ran dry at any point? How much force does the water have coming out of the return jet? Did you make sure all the valves were open?

Pump was never dry, when I unhooked the pump to bring it in the store the pump basket was still full and water leaked out when I separated the motor and wet part of the pump. The valves are in the same position as when the pool was running fine, I haven't touched them.

- - - Updated - - -

0 psi but still pumping some water (is there sloshing in the pump basket?) would indicate a suction side ait leak. There is an article in Pool School that may help.

It's filling, but not really sloshing like it normally does. The pump turns off after approximately 5 min.

... The impeller does turn freely though....
How freely? Maybe too freely? My motor ran hot and melted the impeller around the threaded shaft. Kind of settled in place and looked to be on the shaft OK, but when the motor came up to speed, the impeller wasn't really attached properly to the shaft. Didn't sound right, either. Replaced the impeller, all was good.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.