filter problem

well, i don't know what's happening with my filter. i was vacuming yesterday, and as i was doing so, i noticed the water getting coudy and i turned around to see a giant cloud behind me. i looked at the return, and it was blowing everthing i was vacuming up BACK INTO THE POOL !!! why would that be happenig? i just shut 'er down and walked away in disgust. almost took a sledge hammer to pool, but calmer heads prevailed. so, what should i do? any ideas? thanx.

Because it's easier than opening the filter, the first place I'd look is the gasket in the miltiport. Remove the 6 - 10 bolts that hold the top on and see if the 'spider gasket (wagon wheel)' is warped or ripped (if you've had water going out the 'waste' line while the system is on 'filter' - this is the most probable cause -- without that gasket in good shape and fully sealing, the water entering the multiport goes 'everywhere')

If it's not the multiport - open the filter to see if the sand has channeled (a hole or gap from top to bottom of the sand) If you open it, feel the sand - it should be granular and 'fluffy' - if it's channeled or has clumps, tell us and we'll help determine if you need to replace the sand or can just clean it :) -- and we'll tell you how to do what needs be done to get the filter back to normal operation.

Good luck with your investigation! We'll be here to help :-D

THANX ALOT, WASTE !
one question : i have no shut-off valves on the hoses going from the skimmer into the pump, from the pump to the filter and from the filter to the return. i'm assuming i'll need to un-hook the hoses to and from the pool and block them up somehow when taking the filter apart, right? otherwise i'm losing water all over the place, correct ? thanx again for the help.

You can block the hose/fitting at the pool end, instead of unhooking them. Sometimes you can do this will an appropriately sized ball. More reliably, you can use expanding pipe plugs, sold for winterizing in-ground pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.