Ready to SLAM, buit is CYA too low?

SeaCorey

In The Industry
Aug 6, 2014
Tampa
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I just got my test kit and 4 jugs of chlorine, ready to SLAM for a couple/few days to get rid of algae. Should I bring the CYA up to a certain level before I start? I could still see the dot with the vial full...
Thanks,
SeaCorey

If you could get it to 30, that would be great. You can start to SLAM as it's dissolving or wait till it's all dissolved. No need to test for it, as it takes up to a week to fully register. Just assume it's there. Your shock level is 12 for a CYA of 30. You can go a tick or two higher.
What test kit did you get ?
I would also get more bleach. I'd start with a dozen jugs. How bad is the water ? Pictures are great !!
Review the SLAM process and follow it to the T. ?

Can I put like 9 3" tabs in the inline chlorinator and open it all the way up to up the CYA?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and thanks for such a quick reply, gonna go take a pic or 2.

That is a very slow way to get the CYA up and while waiting, you are going to lose a lot of your FC to the sun while you SLAM.

Each 8 oz trichlor tablet would add ~5ppm of FC and ~3ppm of CYA to your water so 9 tablets would get you close, but how long is it going to take to get them all dissolved? In addition, your FC may get to be too high and your pH is going to crash low if you can get them to dissolve quickly.

Ahh, she's nice and green.
I prefer the granular stabilizer route, but you could do the pucks as long as you know how much each puck is raising CYA, FC and lowering PH. Pool math at the bottom of the page, Effects Of Adding Chem's, will tell you what each puck is adding to your water. This won't be the best route to take IMO.
Again I think it's easier to just go the granular route for your CYA addition. That's what we usually reccomend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.