Little Holes in pool

Matt k

Jul 15, 2012
Greenfield, Mass
After about a month of watching my water level it seemed clear that there were holes in my above ground pool, small ones. My Water level was dropping about an inch every three to four days. The reason I say small ones is because I can’t find a leak anywhere inside/outside the pool,,,,,, the intake, exhaust hoses and filter all check out, not the problem, no leaks,, checked the seams of the pool nothing,,,,,Hired a “pool guy” he claims to have found 4 small pin holes near the edge of the pool (where the liner meets the wall) I still notice a loss of water, it’s at a much slower rate, this pool is stressing me out

My question is, should I cover the pool knowing it will lose some water over the fall/ winter and try to (fill when needed) ? or have the liner replaced?

24’ -52 “ above ground pool, liner is @3 years old,

Thank you for responding,

no, I don’t believe that evaporation plays a part in my pool water lowering,, I’m thinking more of very small ant holes in the liner, the “pool guy” probed my pool with electricity and found 4 holes,, I do find dirt in my pool often, (I don’t believe the dirt comes from anyone using the pool), I think it comes through my liner, I’m nervous to close the pool for the winter with this happening,

Matt

I would be nervous too as you could lose your water and have the pool collapse. I would try to find the holes if you're losing that much water. If you're getting dirt in the pool with no one swimming, it would lead me to believe the holes are on the bottom. You'll need someone to actually swim the length of the pool patiently and carefully to see if they can see them and patch them. If all else fails, then you may need a new liner but I wouldn't cover it losing all that water.

It's a hard decision so late in the season. What would I do? I'd get in and swim the bottom looking for holes and patch as I go and keep an eye on water level for the next week. If that didn't help, I'd seriously consider a liner replacement just to save the pool from collapse.

Casy

I’ve swam the pool millions of times, patiently looking,,, nothing,,,, I’m gona roll the dice and pack it up for the winter and keep an eye on the pool level till the spring!!
Had to pull the triger, I was running out of time!!!!

CUTiger,

Kind of like looking for gold in the ground with a metal detector,,,He has a battery , he takes the positive and negative and grounds them next to the pool inside the dirt,,,he then takes the other end of the negative, places it onto a metal plate lays it into the pool about a foot down,,,the positive it attached to a pole which acts a probe, he wears a set of head phones and listens as the probe hums,,,when the hum becomes loud, a hole has been found!

I had a 1 year liner and ended the year with tiny pin holes in it. It was ants. When we put in the new liner we first treated the ground under and around for ants. No more pinholes. We found many tiny Holes in the liner when we held it up to the light after removing it. I now have moved and have a new pool. You can bet I treated heavily for ants and I treat around the pool every year again. It was an expensive lesson for me to learn.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.