Newbie needs some help

Sep 8, 2014
Mesa, AZ
So I'm new to the board and new to pools.

I have fall/winter coming up on a pool we've had just for the summer and I wanted to know what steps I need to take to get prepared.

One area that concerns me is scheduling the pool. I have an IntelliFlo VS-T 3050 Pump and it currently runs from 1am to 5am nightly during the summer time. During the day, since I have the IntelliChlor system, the pump runs around 1850 rpm as any lower and I get a low flow warning on the salt chlorinator.

When the weather cools, I know I don't need to run this cycle anymore and was curious what recommendations are made for my pool (10,000 gallons + 1,500 gallons for spa).

If it matters, I do have an in-floor cleaning system as well. (A&A with Gamma 4 venturi cleaning heads and a LeafVac + QuikSkim venturi).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

How long are you running in the day time? Likely 4-6 hours total run time is plenty ... even less in the winter. If your water gets cold enough, the SWG will not be generating anyway, so you will want to maintain adequate FC using bleach. {FYI, I am not sure I have ever noticed my SWG shut down due to water temp}

So you can certainly shorten the run time and may also need to lower the SWG output as well. It is trial and error. Read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time

Thanks for that information Jason. So right now the schedule for the pool is exactly as so:

2:00A - 6:00A is the cleaning time and 7:00A - 2:00A is normal low speed pump setting.

-- Now reading what you put (these are the settings the pool builder set after completion a few months ago) this seems like I'm running it wayyyy too much.

So should I adjust it to 7:00A - 1:00P with the 2:00A - 6:00A cleaning time?

What does cleaning time mean? Does that mean you are running at higher speed to run the floor system?
You may only need 4-6 hours TOTAL pump on time. Even your new proposed schedule is still 10 hours.

If you do not believe that is enough run time. Then run the floor for 4 hours at night and run on low speed for 4 hours in the day ... maybe with 8 hours between.

When do you test the water and add chemicals? You need the pump to be on for at least 30 minutes before you test and 30 minutes after you add chemicals. So, make sure you pump schedule has the pump on when you need it.

What does cleaning time mean? Does that mean you are running at higher speed to run the floor system?
You may only need 4-6 hours TOTAL pump on time. Even your new proposed schedule is still 10 hours.

If you do not believe that is enough run time. Then run the floor for 4 hours at night and run on low speed for 4 hours in the day ... maybe with 8 hours between.

When do you test the water and add chemicals? You need the pump to be on for at least 30 minutes before you test and 30 minutes after you add chemicals. So, make sure you pump schedule has the pump on when you need it.

Cleaning time is as you say, when the pump is at high RPM to do in-floor cleaning heads, skimmer vac, etc.

So theoretically then, I could do a schedule of 8:00A - 12:00P (i typically check water around morning to afternoon time) and then could do cleaning at 2:00A to 6:00A and that would be 8 hours of run time.

Another topic, which maybe I need to create a new thread for.. we recently had massive rain here in Mesa, AZ and my pool water level is up to the decking. I was told I need to backwash the filter to get the excess water outta there but I have no idea how. Maybe a picture of my plumping would help advise me on this one?

Or pump to waste if you have a multi-port valve on the filter ... or just let it evaporate off in a few days.

Is your power cheaper at night? Why not try 8-12 and 8-12? Although does not make a lot of difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.