Cartridge filter observations

Sseaman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 6, 2013
Nashville, TN
I opened our cartridge filter for the first time since the install and start up 3 months ago. Does the one on the left look normal, too dirty or could I have gone longer. I run the aquabot cleaner once to twice a week depending on weather and pool use. But I am happy to say we have had a nice clean pool all summer long.
d50c1add53790b93e0b823a5c68b8e50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should only need to clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. That could be 3 months, or 12 months, or 1 week depending on your pool cleanliness and chemistry.

With an oversized cartridge filter, is it a certainty that pressure will rise that much as a guaranteed indicator of when it is time to change/clean filter? I am asking because I have never seen a pressure rise on the gauge at the filter in my 13 months with a new pool, but I thought that I saw evidence of poor filtration after a ton of pollen and seed husks from overhanging trees clogged up my filters. So I changed/cleaned anyway. Is it possible that you won't get a measurable rise on the filter pressure gauge? I am asking because I just don't know when I should be alert to the need to change/clean the cartridges.

Dirt can not bypass the filter unless you have a problem. As the filter gets dirty, the flow rate should be reduced and the pressure must go up.

That said, if you have low debris load and an over-sized filter, it is certainly possible to go over a year without a large pressure rise. I would suggest a yearly cleaning even if the pressure has not gone up.

On low speed you may not be able to discern a difference in pressure. So make sure you do the pressure checks on high speed with the same valve settings.

If the pressure is not going up, the flow must not really be reduced and there is no reason to clean it yet, unless you want to ... or if has been a year ;)

It seems so easy to clean I will probably stick with every couple of months unless I notice a pressure change. I think a majority this time was from the install and construction around the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally took the time to see why my 2 speed pump was only running 1 speed no matter what I set. I am amazed it was working at all the way it was wired but I got it corrected once Hayward sent the correct schematic. I now get a pressure reading around 9 in high speed with all the valves open.
I have been running on low speed for 9 hours a day broken up into 4 2:15 run times with 45% swg. Any ideas how it should be broken up now? The controller allows 2 high speed time intervals and 2 low speed intervals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as low speed is enough flow to keep the SWG generating, then the motor speed has no impact on the amount of FC output.

The % is just the % of time in a given cycle (1 to 2 hours for many SWGs) that it is generating vs not generating.

My SWG runs fine on low ... until the filter gets too dirty and the flow rate drops.

I clean my filter every 4 weeks regardless of condition. That's just a habit I got into because of my preventative maint nature at work. It's easier for me to it that way than to wait for trouble.
Regarding pressure readings, because I run my VS at 1200 RPM the gauge never registers at all. If I run my pump at considerable higher RPM's then I see pressure. My system is quite happy a 1200 RPM.
This is first year with a pool, we have had zero issues as far a keep up with the FC demand or any thing else. Crystal clear water all summer thanks to the good people on this forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.