Time for a new Filtration System...

Sep 8, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
Our old cartridge system is a Jacuzzi TriClops, and it's seen better days, so I've decided to replace it this off-season. In doing some research I'm thinking about buying a new DE filter and using the Fiber Clear media.

The pool is 24,000 gallon underground with a new vinyl liner. The existing pump is a single speed 1.5HP Jacuzzi, and it works fine. The automatic chlorinator and heater (Hayward 220,000 BTU LP) are both pretty new and work fine as well.

So my questions are:
1.) It seems that any DE filter will work with Fiber Clear. Is there a difference between the models? Anyone have a recommendation?

2.) It seems like buying a larger filter will elongate the time between maintenance cycles. Is this true? If so, is there any downside to buying "too big"?

3.) Breaking down the DE filter & deep cleaning looks like a couple hour job. Is there one brand/model that is easier than the others?

4.) Would a sand filter, with Fiber Clear media, be just as effective as the DE filter? Sand filters look like they are a lot cheaper.

5.) Although my pump is fine, I'm wondering if a 2 speed or VS pump will save me enough in electricity to justify replacing it.

Thanks,
Sam

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I assume you have already read the filter comparison: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/160-pool-filter-comparison

1) Any would work fine with the fiber. There are 3 styles of DE filter. Most common is airfoil grids, Pentair makes large ones with cartridges, and then there are bump-style (where you backwash less often, but I think they are smaller)

2) You just need to be sure your pump is strong enough to backwash properly ... not usually a problem.

3) It should not take more than an hour and you should only need to do it once a year at most.

4) A sand filter by itself will maintain a clear pool ... assume you maintain the chemistry properly.

5) I would certainly recommend upgrading to a 2-speed. You could replace just the motor on your existing pump.

BTW, we do not typically recommend the exclusive use of trichlor tablets.

Have you discovered our Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.