Raypak Versa Honeywell gas valve replacement

MelRob

Sep 8, 2014
Sunland, CA
My pool heater is a 27 year old Raypak Versa that I've discovered is not firing up due to the Honeywell gas valve going bad. I was checking the electrical terminals with my volt meter when it would fire up intermittently while applying pressure to the pilot wire terminal. Per Raypay, the replacement valve for the C-405A-EN heater is the Raypak 003900F gas valve kit. This includes Honeywell valve VR8304K4814, a slow opening valve. Further, there is a universal replacement valve available, the VR8345K4809, also slow opening, which is considerably less expensive. My question is: Does the replacement valve have to be a slow opening valve or could it be a regular opening, 2 stage valve such as the VR8345Q4563 or the VR8345M4302, a regular opening, single stage valve? These are even less expensive and readily available. Thanks, Mel

The gas valve type is matched for the ignition set up. When the mfg calls for a slow open valve, it's best to use a slow open valve to allow time for proper ignition sequence.
If you use something else, you may have intermittent ignition failures, if it ignites at all.

Thanks, mgarf. I ended up using a Honeywell VR8345K4809 which is a universal slow opening valve. Between this and discovering and resoldering some broken solder points on the (original) pc board, the heater is back online, firing every time. I can see the slow opening feature is designed to avoid the BOOM of the old valve opening up immediately, letting the full flow out upon opening. Now the fires with a bit of a delay and with a subdued whomp. Seems to be a good safety feature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.