Too much Chlorine

Jun 8, 2007
Arkansas
I recently purchased a pool and had it set up.
I've let the filter run for 2 days straight since having it filled and last nite I went and got chemicals for my pooling including:

2 Gallons Bleach 6%
2 boxes 20 mule team
Case of chemicals to shock the pool

I came home and shocked the pool and added a gallon of bleach.

Then I read on here that 1/2 a gallon would have been plenty for my pool as it only holds 4500 gallons and I read that a gallon of 6% will treat 10,000 gallons.

I took the tests today and the Ph was fine at about 7.3 and the other one for the Cl and Br was turned an orangish color instead of any shade of yellow. The water seems fine, but is it safe to swim in, and how would I lower the total Cl levelback down?

Hi, Andy,

The chlorine will come down quickly on it's own....nothing you can do, anyway.

Please keep reading the stickies on the forum. You will soon discover you didn't need anything to shock the pool except bleach. You'll need some CYA pretty soon. Have you any?

Secondly, download "bleachcalc" from this forum. It'll keep you from overdosing your pool again....too much of that is gonna; cause you some issues.

It's probably fine to swim. Without knowing your chlorine level, I'd consider wearing some older swimsuits in case fading is an issue but I doubt that will happen, either.

You'll need a good test kit....understand what the results mean....and put your chemistry in your pool based on bleachcalc and not a WAG.

What exactly is a CYA?

I bought the stuff to shock it thinking it was better than dumping bleach in there... guess i was wrong

Ive read most of the stickies so far and have learned quit a bit

I'll use up this case of chemicals (1 lb bags, 12 in a case) then after that I'll use regular bleach.

andysutt said:

Andy, you might be missing a key point. Bleach and shock do the same thing. They add chlorine. I (and many others here) shock my pool with bleach if it needs it, and use the bleach for daily chlorine needs. Shock is nothing more than standard pool chlorine.

andysutt said:
What exactly is a CYA?

I bought the stuff to shock it thinking it was better than dumping bleach in there... guess i was wrong

Ive read most of the stickies so far and have learned quit a bit

I'll use up this case of chemicals (1 lb bags, 12 in a case) then after that I'll use regular bleach.

CYA is Cyanuric Acid or stabilizer. It helps protect your chlorine from degradation from the sun. Your shock probably added some, but your pool won't hold chlorine all day unless you have 30-40ppm. Walmart sells a 6-way test kit that will test for it.

Also, depending on what brand of powdered/bags you purchased, they may have stabilizer in them so be careful about adding any additional until you are sure what you put in there already. It takes a few days for the CYA levels to reach their top point (dissolve fully) after you added it. Some of those "all in ones" kind of things in a bag/powder or granual add it and ALL of the tablets add it. Check your label on the case the bags came in to see if its listed "stabilizer" or "Buffer" or CYA - if it is, wait a few days and test your levels (with a nice drops test) not strips, they are not accurate.

I bought a drop kit, that has 2 chambers... the Yellow side tests Cl and Br and the red does the Ph

I'll find a better kit when I find one.

I'll check into the CYA also. I wasn't really aware of needing that also. Im still a newbie but am enjoying this a whole lot.

I'll check the case of chemicals later today when I get a chance

(the pool is a surprise for my son's third birthday and his party is saturday so cant let him see it yet)

JohnT said:
andysutt said:

Andy, you might be missing a key point. Bleach and shock do the same thing. They add chlorine. I (and many others here) shock my pool with bleach if it needs it, and use the bleach for daily chlorine needs. Shock is nothing more than standard pool chlorine.

I realize that now... I was thinking it needed the regular bleach in it and the "shock" is just a temp thing that goes away quickly.

I've learned the hard way.. but I have a pretty pool so far and hopeing to keep it that way.

I'll recheck the Clorine level in a bit and let you guys know

andysutt said:
JohnT said:
andysutt said:

I realize that now... I was thinking it needed the regular bleach in it and the "shock" is just a temp thing that goes away quickly.

I've learned the hard way.. but I have a pretty pool so far and hopeing to keep it that way.

I'll recheck the Clorine level in a bit and let you guys know

The thing is, the word "shock" is a verb, as in something you do. The pool stores have turned into a noun, making people believe it is a seperate product you have to buy, which of course isn't true.

Exactly... I didn't know it was chlorine entirely thats why I bought the stuff to shock it.

I really appreciate the help with this.

I re-tested and its still a orangish color, but not burnt orange anymore

Would leaving the pump on help this matter at all? Im thinking not but wanted to ask

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Running the pump is generally a good thing for your pool but will have no affect on your Cl levels. You'll be pretty surprised at how quickly the chlorine will diminish in there without CYA. I'd say it will be down to nothing in a couple of Sunny days

I'll check into a CYA ASAP :)

Its down, but still orangish after swimming in it for about 1 1/2 today.

Me, my wife, mother, 2 sons all were in it so im sure it dropped it quite a bit also.

Anyone recommend a good brand of CYA?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.