Salt Pool and Solar Bubble Blankets

Mar 21, 2008
Roseville,Ca
before I new better I was sold on Solar Sun Rings last season when I had my pool built.Now they are a pain.I went with them under the impression the SWG pools deteriorate the bubble covers quicker.Is there any truth to this.I would like to here from other SWG pool owners on how they cover their pools.I run a heat pump to extent my season and would like to go with a different cover.Thank you TFP in advance. :)

I can't think of any reason a salt pool would deteriorate a cover faster. The chemistry in the water is the same, and since you almost never need to shock a salt pool, it would seem to be easier on the cover.

Have a clear solar cover, SWG AutoPilot Digital, Salt at 3500-3600, FC at 5, ph at 7.5, Alk at 80, Calcium at 475, CyA at 30, temp averages 82-86 summer, 78-84 winter, plus we have a very high UV index compared to most locations, with no problems with the cover.

Ah, forgot to mention. The reel is a different issue. The bolts get rusty, presumably they are not marine grade. One can overcome this by using by using Corrosion Block (used on Aircraft) from www.learchem.com and then winding waterproof electrical tape over them, not very elegant but solves the problem.

Hope this helps.

The only downside with a salt pool is that the cover starts to get a film of salt on the top unless you wash it off periodically. Also, any reel that you might use will start to collect salt if not cleaned frequently. Not much different than the deck which also collects salt if not cleaned. Part of the extra maintenance that comes with the SWG. Save some lose some. :?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.