Two holes in skimmer , one works and not sure about the other

I am taking care of my cousins pool and the skimmer cover has these letters WC 27-92 and after reading about another post on the forums I saw that these two holes may or may not be connected somewhere. This is a built in pool. So I took a towel and attempted to plug up the hole with the main suction and I could hear the pump straining big time. Except the basket for the leaves it catches there is nothing else that in in there. I have read about the space ship or the twinkie that may or may not direct the suction to the bottom drain. So, my question is, what would the adapters do to direct suction to the bottom? When the main suction hole was plugged with the rag, why didn't it begin taking in water from the other hole or the bottom drain? She also has this adapter that sucks leaves from the bottom of the pool which we'll get to some other time. Thanks in advance.

Chuck

pool.jpg

Reactions: Ocean 50
Welcome to TFP!

The hole closer to the pool connects to the main drain. The other hole goes to the pump. As water is drawn out of the skimmer by the pump, water flows from the drain into the skimmer. There are devices that more directly connect the two pipes to increase flow from the drain.

Why in the **** would someone NOT hook up the 2nd hole? Since there is a drain at the bottom of the pool, I must believe that it's hooked up somewhere. I might have to take a screw driver down there and unscrew the cover off to test.

When the second port isn't hooked up, it is plugged. You do that when you have a dedicated line to the pump instead of routing it through the skimmer.

So in this case since the 2nd hole isn't plugged, I can then believe that water is being pumped from the drain as well as the skimmer at the same time. So I know need to know or determine what type of a device I can purchase to direct more suction from the bottom drain, especially when I'm sweeping stuff down to it, I would want maximum suckage down there. How do you decide which one to get, or which one is the correct one? Thanks everyone.

It's called a float diverter. Also, you need to put an o-ring in that channel at the bottom of the skimmer in order for the FD to sit and make a seal -

http://www.westsidewholesale.com/pe...=88684204045&gclid=CM_Zt5PW0cACFQuOaQodqB0AUA

But note that the FD only closes when the the water level in the skimmer drops below the opening of the weir door. You typically can't make it close manually

If you want maximum pull from the pump, then you'll have to construct a U-shaped bypass out of PVC pipe and elbows to connect the pump port to the MD port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.