Leak at connection to Sand Filter

PoolCleanerMom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2009
SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA
this afternoon we noticed that the concrete around our sand filter was wet and it looks like the leak originates at one of the connections to the pump:

Any tips on further DIY diagnosis? Is it feasible to attempt a DIY fix when, as hubby says, "I don't have a wrench nearly the right size"?

For reference - this is a bigger-picture view of our system. Hubby emptied the pump basket and re-primed the system so not all the water on the concrete is a result of the leak - original leak zone extended roughly 4-8 inches beyond the base of the filter

Thanks!

I agree with jodeci77. I bought these and have used them countless times on pool fittings. http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-480-2-Inch-Capacity-20-Inch/dp/B00004SBCX

They are HUGE, like cartoon huge, and they fit those fittings. If you can't afford that, you can get a strap wrench for about $10, but they are rubber and tend to break easily.

Take the union off, and try greasing the o-ring and putting it back together. If that doesn't work, take the o-ring to a plumbing supply store and get a new one for about $1.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.