Closing pool - how do I winterize the main drain?

Jun 23, 2014
New, England
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi,

Can someone please explain to me how to prepare the main drain for the winter? Or don't I have to worry about that?

I'll be closing my pool before the end of this month, and this is my first time closing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You want to force air through the line that leads to the main drain until you get lots of bubbles for 30 seconds, then close the valve. I'm thinking of getting a large expandable plug to plug all the drain lines inside the pump basket for insurance. I haven't heard of a reliable method to get any RV antifreeze into a main drain line...

I don't actually have a shutoff valve for the main drain though. I only have the black plastic ball valve that switches between main drain and skimmer drains.

Do I just forget about clearing water out of the main drain then?

I have been wondering the same thing. I have a three way valve (Jandy). Full skim, full main drain or half of each.

20 x 44.5 single roman end, ~33,000 gallons, 10 feet deep, garrett vinyl liner, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Cirrcupool RJ60 SWG, Hayward 140k BTU Heater, Polaris 380 with Booster Pump

If you only can have either main drain or skimmer (or balance both), set to main drain only first. Blow it out for 30 seconds of full bubbles. Then with blower still going, quickly swap to skimmer only. Blow out skimmer. Then pour RV antifreeze in skimmer line. Cap skimmer line, them more RV antifreeze on top of skimmer with some torn up pool noodle pieces.

I make a temp valve out of pvc that can screw into the port inside the skimmer. I tried this last year on a customers pool and worked really good.

Make sure you thread tape the threaded piece that you screw into skimmer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Honestly I don't see to many plumbed in that way in ky. In used to blow through it and have a rubber plug ready and remove the blower at the same time plugging it as fast I could. That worked but I wanted a more secure way of doing it.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be using your advice today on my first closing. Wish me luck. :)

I think before I open next year I'm going to be installing some much needed plumbing changes to make this stuff easier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.