shock question

Mr2005

May 18, 2011
Had my water tested at a pool store. I told him that i have green spots on my walls but my water was clear. He said my chloring level was good, but recommended shocking it. I was under the imrpession shock was used to raise chlorine levels and is just high level of chlorine. Is that not correct?

That is essentially correct. However, a one time elevation of FC level will not clear algae from a pool. You will need to raise your FC to a high level appropriate to your CYA level, according to this chart: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock, and them maintain it there until you lose less that 1ppm FC overnight.

For this, you will need your own test kit that can test higher than 5 FC.

As you have read around here in the past 3 years you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing or advice. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing.

As Charlie said we do not "shock" our pools, we follow the SLAM Process when there is a problem. To SLAM you need the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.