Hayward Northstar pump - Help Putting back together

Jul 6, 2013
We cannot get the motor (dry) section back together with the pump (wet) section. We took it apart to make sure the impeller was turning properly. All we did was take the diffuser off and then turn the impeller both ways. Since it did not have any debris there and it was turning we tried to put it back together. Put diffuser back on, relubricated diffuser o-ring and then when we put the entire motor back into wet section but the motor is still about 1/4 inch away from the wet section so we cannot twist the locking collar back on. We have tried everything from brute strength and checking for any unions that need to be lined up but to no avail. If we take the diffuser off and place it back in the wet section alone we can see the diffuser go 1/4 in further into the wet section but cannot do it if it is connected to the motor.

By turning impeller did we pull insides of motor out a bit, is there a union we are not aware of?

Thoughts, ideas? Otherwise pool guy is being called.

Thanks.

It can be hard to push back on. Here is what I do when it is stubborn.

First, lube the large o-ring. Next, with pipe couplers off, align the pump vertical with the suction port down on a block of wood so as not to damage. Then push down on the motor with a slight twisting action. This should seat the motor mounting plate into the wet end.

You just need to remove the screws that screw it down. The pipes come off with the unions.

But you can try it horizontal to see if that works first. Just wiggle the motor back and forth just a little bit.

Well I call the pool guy. He came over and put it in very quickly. All we needed was a lot more lube, not just to go around the ring but also some on the edge of the plastic motor casing that slides in. A lesson learned but at least I didn't have to take the entire think apart which would have taken us forever to get back together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.