Emergency help needed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reddogdan

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2013
Mansfield, Texas
just got home from vacation and went to add bleach. Instead, I dumped about a cup of used motor oil in the pool. HELP!! pool calculator doesn't mention this additive. Save the picking on me till the real answers come in, then I'm open for the abuse. thanks

How about a Wet Vac with an attachment to grab the surface water. The attachment should be about 8 inches long. It would be a slow process if it works. Try a small area and I would recommend moving slowly like your are vacuuming the pool so there is not too much movement in the water. Hopefully this will work. Good Luck !

All are good suggestions. Scooping, scum balls, enzymes, and PIG® Oil-Only Absorbent Mat Pad. The good news is that oil and water does not mix so most of it should be easily removable. The rest that does slightly mix in to the water will likely get filtered out as the oil will want to bind to the filter material more than it will want to stay in the water (similar to body oils which filters are designed to remove).

I would do the physical removal techniques first and leave the enzymes as a last resort for anything left over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just want to say good luck, and you are not the first to do this, when I started reading this thread I first thought someone had revived a thread from a couple of years ago, as it reads almost identical to one I have seen on here before.

Ike

A cup shouldn't be too bad, but now that you have some answers.......

How in the WORLD are bleach and used oil mixed up at your place? I just thought it was crazy land around here sometimes.....:mrgreen:

I should have pulled the label off the bottle. Thanks for all the replies. I put two scum balls in each skimmer and added the pool first aid, no sheen on top of the water this morning,

- - - Updated - - -

Actually it is kinda of a fitting situation. I had to drain the oil in one of the four wheelers before vacation because it had gotten water in it.

Ouch...can relate to that...hubby bought a new gas powered blower and first time I used it I slung it running right into the pool. Luckily no ill effects for pool or blower. Kinda hard explaining it to the hubs ....:/

I can believe you dropped it in the pool, but how did it not mess the blower up? My wife was afraid I was gonna knock the pressure washer in the pool. Luckily I just fell in. Would've been cheaper to drop the pressure washer in. I can fix a pressure washer. I had to drop $300 on a new iphone.

Ive noticed oil likes to collect in the skimmer as the top layer since it floats. The suction of the pump pulls more water from below the surface than whats on top and leaves the oil in the skimmer. Just scoop it out of the skimmer.

Seems everything is ok. There was no smell or sheen on the water surface yesterday. We got in and wiped out the skimmers and tile line. We threw away the scumballs and added new ones. Tested the water and all the numbers were good.

Seems everything is ok. There was no smell or sheen on the water surface yesterday. We got in and wiped out the skimmers and tile line. We threw away the scumballs and added new ones. Tested the water and all the numbers were good.

Glad to hear everything worked out. This is a good thread showing how not to panic and just think the problem through.

All the VOCs will just burn off. Heavy junk will go to the bottom and get vacuumed out and light stuff will get sucked up by Pig Blanket and ScumBalls.

You might want to clean out your filter though. Not sure about cartridge filters but you might consider soaking the cartridges in a garbage pail with some kind of pool compatible surfactant to clear any oil out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.