CYA help

RSS

Jul 9, 2008
I'm not sure if I'm worse on this computer or the BBB. We are new at the BBB after recently spending $350 at the pool store and had 0 results. Thanks to your help, we learned to lower our cya...which we did to about 60. The last 4 weeks though we have been cleaning out the Wal Mart and Target shelves of bleach. We can not raise our chlorine level above 1 and it shortly goes to nothing. I also don't understand shocking and I have been to the pool school.....maybe I am a slow learner?

Our cya is back up to 100...from 60
Ph 7.2
alk 90
chl less than .5

The pool calculator says to empty 40% of our pool. We eliminated probaly 20 " on our 25,000 gallon pool 4 or 5 weeks ago. The more I read.....the CYA should not be going up on it's own. Can anybody help? I fear emptying 1/2 the pool and 4 weeks from now we are back up to 100. We claened our filter several weeks ago. This has been a struggle all year from mid May on. Thanks for your help!!!

RSS said:
I'm not sure if I'm worse on this computer or the BBB. We are new at the BBB after recently spending $350 at the pool store and had 0 results. Thanks to your help, we learned to lower our cya...which we did to about 60. The last 4 weeks though we have been cleaning out the Wal Mart and Target shelves of bleach. We can not raise our chlorine level above 1 and it shortly goes to nothing. That's because you have organics (algae in your pool and it is consuming the chlorine. I also don't understand shocking and I have been to the pool school.....maybe I am a slow learner? Shocking is adding a massive dose of chlorine and then continuing to add chlorine so you stay at shock level....that'll kill the algae.

Our cya is back up to 100...from 60 CYA doesn't go up unless you put more in.
Ph 7.2
alk 90
chl less than .5

The pool calculator says to empty 40% of our pool. We eliminated probaly 20 " on our 25,000 gallon pool 4 or 5 weeks ago. The more I read.....the CYA should not be going up on it's own. Can anybody help? I fear emptying 1/2 the pool and 4 weeks from now we are back up to 100. Again, not unless you put more in. There is a problem in your testing. We claened our filter several weeks ago. This has been a struggle all year from mid May on. I think your primary issue (as it is in 95% of the pool water issues) is chlorine. Chlorine is only consumed by organics (algae) and the sun. Since the CYA is helping protect it from the sun, you very likely have algae and you are not testing and adding to get to shock level. You are spanking your algae with a fly swatter.....you need to hit it with a sledgehammer. Thanks for your help!!!

TizMe said:
What have you been using as your source of chlorine? How does your water look? What are you using to test your water ?
We also need to now what type of pool you have Vinyl, Gunite, Fiberglass etc ...

Sorry...we have a vinyl pool....we use the big expensive test kit that we bought online here...T 100 or something. The water is crystal clear. We have been buying the off brand 6% bleech from Target or Walmart....same brand. the large jug...174 ounces or close. I'm averaging 3 large jugs a day and it basically does nothing....gets me up to one...then disappears by morning. We have not added 1 drop of CYA increaser all year as it has always been too high. My opinion is that it was too high at opening in May and we should have gotten rid of half the winter water.
Thanks for your help !!!!

Swimgirl said:
Have you used powdered shock at all? Most of the powdered shock contains CYA.
The only type of powdered shock that contains CYA is Dichlor. Most powdered shock is cal hypo which does not contain CYA.
This is why it's important to know the actual ingredients of the products you put in your pool!

Are you using chlorine tablets in your chlorinator??? If so, that may be your problem. Do not use chorline tablets at all because that is a high source of CYA. I know what you ae gonig through and have recently battled with this type of problem myself. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.