Had some mustard algae

Mar 21, 2008
Roseville,Ca
I had a little MA on my pool wall the other day, about a 4ft x 3ft area.I brushed it off and checked my chems.

FC 1.0
PH 7.8
TA 70
CH 220
CYA 40
Salt 3200

I cleaned my filter and adjusted my SWG.Today I get..

FC 4.0
PH 7.4
TA 80
CH 220
CYA 60.
Salt 3200

No algae today and brushed walls again.
My question is should I shock to FC 24 according to pool calculator?
I was going to use the cal-hypo to cheat in getting some CH out of it?
Also going to bring CH up to 300 and CYA to 70

Thank You TFP

Thank you but to late.I went off the Pool Calulator suggested 34 for MA shock.The Taylor book says 30.So with what I added I should be around 32.So I have read the shock sticky.I am not sure I follow it.I had MA but 0 CC.So do I just shock and wait for FC to come back down before swimming?I will test in an hour or so and have the suggested test kit.

raiderchuck said:
Thank you but to late.I went off the Pool Calulator suggested 34 for MA shock.The Taylor book says 30.So with what I added I should be around 32.So I have read the shock sticky.I am not sure I follow it.I had MA but 0 CC.So do I just shock and wait for FC to come back down before swimming?I will test in an hour or so and have the suggested test kit.

It's okay to go with the 30-34, IMHO, here's the CYA chart that I like to refer to as it gives the "Yellow and Mustard Algae" targets - and hold it there for 48 hours, because Mustard Algae is resistant to chlorine, also once your FC holds overnight, run at the Yellow/MA minimum target...for a week or so, be sure it's not coming back. If this is something that happens frequently, consider running at the higher minimum target of 9-10 most of the time...to prevent it from returning.

First I really appreciate the immediate responses as I walk through this.I have added 5.5 jugs of 96oz 6% bleach.It is one hour later and I get

8.0 PH
20 FC
.5 CC
Does anyone need more numbers? Do I adjust the PH now?
I will check again later.48 hrs?One week seems excessive.My pool has been crystal clear to this point of the MA showing up.If I go to 32FC can I just circulate 24hrs?
I will follow what is recommended.Thank you in advance.

You wont get an accurate reading for your PH while shocking your pool. So I would wait until your algae is under control since your PH before you shocked was just a little high. Shock levels must be maintained for several days

You need to keep shocking your pool until you meet the following criteria:
a) Your FC loss is 1ppm or less overnight
b) Your CC level is 0 -0.5 during your FC test
c) Your water is clear.

Dont forget to brush your pool and clean your filter while getting rid of the algae.

This is going to take time and patience!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's from the chlorine....it will drop back down when the chlorine returns to "normal" levels. PH rise from aeration wouldn't happen that fast from just a return being pointed up. Don't adjust it. Retest when your FC is below 10.

Yes your pump needs to be running 24/7 while your getting rid of the algae.

You need to keep shocking your pool until you meet the following criteria:
a) Your FC loss is 1ppm or less overnight
b) Your CC level is 0 -0.5 during your FC test
c) Your water is clear.

Dont forget to brush your pool and clean your filter while getting rid of the algae.

This is going to take time and patience!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.