Electrical Conductivity of Pool Water

Aug 5, 2012
Orlando, FL
Does Cyunaric Acid or Boron also effect water conductivity? I have a salt cell that keeps shutting down in the afternoon when very hot water from solar panels gets cycled through the salt cell, apparently increasing electrical conductivity. The SWG shuts down, saying HI salt, despite running at 3200 ppm. My CYA is about 90 and Boron at about 70.
George

The CYA and borates would have much less effect on the conductivity than the temperature and the salt levels.

The question I have is why you have "very hot" water coming in from the solar panels. I would suggest a higher flow rate through the solar panels to prevent very hot water from coming in. It's more efficient to use solar panels with higher flow, lower temperature change from inlet to outlet on the panel.

JVTrain, thanks for your reply. I agree about flow rate. My problem is that the solar panels bring the pool up to temperature by about noon and shut off (holding 9 panels full of water on the roof). If the pool calls for a little more heat in the afternoon, it gets all the water that has been sitting on the roof for hours in the hot Florida sun--too hot to touch, even when it reaches the pool (and has gone through the salt cell).

George

The AquaRite amps depends on the water temperature and chloride ion concentration. Other ions would not affect the amps of the cell.

It's not so much the conductivity of the water as the performance of the cell converting chloride to chlorine.

As the water warms up, more electrons flow from chloride ions and onto hydrogen ions. So, this isn't conductivity in the normal sense but it's still conductivity because it's a flow of electrons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.