Help Needed

Jul 30, 2008
OK, have been fighting algae for a week now and looks like I have finally won, the water is almost crystal clear again!!

The pool is an Intex Easy Set 14 foot (9500L/2500g) pool.

My question is, how do I get the fc level to go back down, it is currently at the shock level 10 and holding.

The levels are:

FC 10
pH 6.3
CYA 0

Any suggestions on what I can do so I can get back in the pool?

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

If your CYA level is really 0 then the FC level will come down very rapidly during the day and will get close to zero in only a couple of hours.

Again, if the CYA level is really 0, you should add some stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid/CYA to the pool. The normal goal for CYA is between 30 and 50.

If your PH is really 6.3, it is dramatically too low and is causing damage to the vinyl liner. Perhaps that is really a typo? The standard PH test will only read down to 6.8. You should verify your PH reading and if necessary raise the PH to at least 7.0 right away.

According to the calculator I have to add 85 oz by volume or 89 oz by weight of Borax to raise the PH to the correct level.

How do I measure that if I do not have a scale to measure the weight?

What FC level is safe to swim in depends on your CYA level. With CYA at 0 you shouldn't swim with 10 FC. With CYA at 20 or higher swimming with FC at 10 is just fine.

Extremely high FC levels relative to your CYA level tend to damage hair and bathing suits, skin is just fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.