Skimmer Question

honeill14

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2014
Hopedale, MA
I have two skimmers in my pool. When I remove the basket from the main skimmer (the one I use to vacuum the pool) I see two pipe openings. When I put my hand down into the lower one I can feel the suction and it looks to be clear. When I put my fingers into the second I feel sand/grit. I've never noticed this before and was wondering if that sand/grit is meant to be there (to filter) or is something that needs to be cleaned out. Thanks.

I have two skimmers in my pool. When I remove the basket from the main skimmer (the one I use to vacuum the pool) I see two pipe openings. When I put my hand down into the lower one I can feel the suction and it looks to be clear. When I put my fingers into the second I feel sand/grit. I've never noticed this before and was wondering if that sand/grit is meant to be there (to filter) or is something that needs to be cleaned out. Thanks.

The second is likely capped off underground. Many skimmers are built with two ports, so they can be run in series of one another. (this isn't optimal, but it's a frequently performed operation). If you're at the last skimmer on the line, or if your skimmers are all independent of one another you'll have a bit of grit and crud in that other hole.

My new pool has accumulated sand and grit in that other hole as well in each of the 2 skimmers. It is indeed capped since we have separate returns for the main drains. Must say I was confused at first before I realized it was just a useless spare opening that was intentionally capped and then I became just annoyed when I realized it was capped in what I would call a slipshod manner in my case. I would think that a truly pro crew would cap it some better way???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.