Adding Muriatic Acid

lion22

Aug 13, 2014
Monticello MN
Hello to all.

The "detailed study" paper regarding Muriatic Acid was very interesting. I do have a specific question of the proper way to add it to my pool. I have 2 shallow ends with wedding steps, and of course a gradual slope to the center of the deep end (appx 6 ft deep).

Would my best approach be to dilute (is there a protocol dilution ratio?), then walk my 5 gal bucket around the entire pool? Also, if pool math told me to add whatever amount, is there a threshold where it would be added in separate doses, or just add it all at once? Lastly, is there a certain amount of time to wait B/4 adding another chemical, which will mostly be liquid chlorine. Thanks.

This has been discussed here at length. The recommended technique is to pour slowly (pencil sized stream) in front of a return with the pump running. That being said, I dilute into a 5 gallon bucket of pool water and then add. Some people think this extra step causes more potential for accidents but I prefer it because I can quickly (but carefully) measure and pour the acid, which I feel lessens my exposure to the fumes.

As far as protocol, always add acid to water . (Always do things as you oughta, add the acid to the water).

The first few times you add acid it might be better to add less than the full dose (3/4 maybe) and see what the effect is. Once you know how you pool reacts this shouldn't be necessary. Also, you shouldn't be letting your pH get so high that you need to add huge doses of acid.

Waiting 30 minutes after adding acid with the pump running is plenty.

Thanks svenpup.

Regarding protocol, I was more referring to how much water vs how much acid. I just started using Mur Acid, and the few times I have used it I filled my 5G bucket about 1/3 of the way and added 48 oz of Mur Acid. Does this sound reasonable? FYI, I concur with your "extra step" for the reasons you state (that's the former safety professional in me talking, lol). Also, FYI, the 48 oz I added twice was to keep my pH btn 7-7.2 during a recently completed SLAM. I am now letting it drift to normal recs for my vinyl pool.

As for pouring in front of returns, I have 2 each on each step (which due to the shallowness I'll assume I won't use). I have 2 other on each shallow end, kitty corner to the 2 skimmers. Does it matter which one? Perhaps the one closest/furthest from the filter? Maybe half and half? Also, just to continue my education, is there a reason why you would not want to walk it around the entire pool? If there's a previous thread I apologize, and if you could guide me to it I'll just read for myself. Thanks much.

It may just be me, but I'm not a fan of diluting MA prior to use. I find it easier, and I think safer to just add directly to the pool. I partially submerge the MA bottle so there is only a couple of inches between the bottle mouth and the pool surface. Pouring from that position almost eliminates the possibility of splashing.

Diluting in a bucket just adds a step that I think is unnecessary.

But, as with everything else you read here it is for your education and you should do what you think is right in your situation.

I pour it in as Tim describes ... no chance of splashing.

Pouring the liquid chemicals in front of a jet allows them to mix into the water better than if you poured it around the pool potentially into an area of lower circulation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.