Struggling with Algae

dottie

Aug 10, 2008
Hi, I'm new to this site and my neighbor has graciously used her TF100 test kit to test my green pool. Here are the results of the test.
PH- 7.8
FC- 14
CC- .5
TC- 14.5
TA- 170
CYA- 80
CH- 450
The pool is lime green and have been vacuuming and adding all kinds of chemicals from the local pool store. I partially drained the pool below skimmer and refilled last night and ran the filter all night and then we tested the water this afternoon. I've been running the filter 24/7 for at least a week since the pool turned green.

Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.

Welcome Dottie!

Your CYA is too high, which is probably why you're having troubles....

I would recommend you start by reading all of the articles in Pool School, take notes on anything you don't understand and post the question here.

You are going to struggle to make any progress with a CYA level that high; I would recommend you lower the water to below your skimmer and then replace it with fresh water. That will dilute the CYA level so that you don't need to use as much chlorine to kill algae and achieve proper sanitation.

What kinds of pool store chems did you add? I am wondering this because your TA is high and so is your CH. But I don't know if this is due to products you added or your fill water?

So welcome and ask any questions at all, we're here to help!

Thank you both for your suggestions. I have read (and reread) the defeating algae article. It is very helpful in understanding the problem and realizing that it will take awhile to fix the problem. I have also read almost all of the other articles in pool school and they are very informative. I know that next year I will be testing my own water with a kit that I'll purchase and hopefully save myself some money in the long run. More importantly I'll understand why I'm adding different chemicals to my pool and the effect they have on the water.
As for my current problem, I'm thinking that it might be better to drain off more water first and bring the CYA level down to a managable level. Because I don't have my own good test kit, only test strips at the current time, I am forced to go to the pool store for accurate readings for the CYA and FC and all of the other necessary readings.
Do you think that the most efficient way to start to fix the problem is to drain off water and refill or to order a test kit and wait for it to arrive and then add chlorine to the correct levels? Could you also suggest a test kit for me. Thank you in advance for your help.

dottie said:
Do you think that the most efficient way to start to fix the problem is to drain off water and refill or to order a test kit and wait for it to arrive and then add chlorine to the correct levels? Could you also suggest a test kit for me.

I would do a partial drain, just below the skimmer, and then refill with fresh water. Allow it to circulate thru the filter for couple hours or so....then retest the CYA. Once you have a lower CYA reading, refer to the chart and dose accordingly with liquid chlorine. Use the Pool Calculator for calculating your dosage, such a brilliant and handy tool! While you are letting the water drain and refill, go to the Home page and in the left hand column is a link to TF Test Kits. Order the TF-100. You won't be dissapointed. There is an article in Pool School comparing the TF100 and the Taylor K-2006, IMHO the TF100 is more bang for the buck. You'll get it in less than a week!

Thanks again for the suggestions. I drained my pool down and then refilled and let it sit overnight. I can now see the bottom at least. I vacuumed this morning and am going to let it settle again, vacuum and then retest the water. Most importantly, I ordered the TF test kit this morning and can't wait to get it! Hopefully, this will be the beginning of a new "troublefree" era!

This is what the pool store told me after the water refill:
FC- 6
CC- 6
CYA- 74
PH- 7.5
TA- 148
CH- 256

Let sit overnite again and revacuumed and then added one gallon of 12% chlorine. My neighbor tested with the TF 100 at 6:30 pm tonight. The numbers are:
PH- 8.0
FC- 10
CC- 0.5
TA- 160
CYA- 60

We used the pool calculator and it said to add 232oz. (2 gals). of 12% chlorine. I already added one gallon.

My question is should I add the second gallon now or let the first one circulate for one hour? Also, should I run the fliter all night and then let it settle while I'm at work and then vacuum after 5pm. toworrow or should I let it run until 10 pm tonight and then vacuum early tomorrow morning berfore work? Thanks so much, aI hope these questions aren't tedious but I'm not sure about timing. Thank you again.

I would add all the bleach the calculator called for in one dose slowly over the return and let the pump run until water clears (24/7 if need be), vac when you get home and test water again, brush, repeat the same procedure if need be.

Yes, what Casey said :wink:

Also, back to the "Deafeating Algae" and "Shocking your Pool" articles, you will soon have your TF100 and be able to accurately shock your pool!

Clearing a pool with algae is a process...not an event. I've always liked chem geeks criteria..........

The process is complete when:
A. You hold FC loss to 1.0 or less overnite
B. Your CC's test .5 or less
C. Your water is sparkling

Running your filter 24/7 should speed things along.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wanted to check back and thank everyone on the site who responded to me. About a day or so after my last post my pool cleared right up and has been sparkling ever since. I do test the water every day and keep adding chlorine as needed. I'm so glad my neighbor found you're site and suggested that I look at it. I'm telling everyone I know about or site and ALL of the helpful info on it. I'll be closing my pool soon and will thoroughly read through your directions and hints about closing and winterizing. Thank you again, I'll be back in the spring!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.