Pump not on!

Jul 6, 2013
Yesterday my pool was working when I tested it. However, for the past month or so I have been feeling that the circulation has seemed a bit low. I even cleaned the cartridges bc I thought they may have been dirty therefore slowing the circulation. (Perhaps just bc I was wondering what I would need to replace/pay for next!)

Today when I went outside the pool looked as if it was off - low water in spa, no spillover and no suction in skimmers. Pool has electricity bc my waterfall turned on when I pressed the button. I flipped the breaker switch just to see if perhaps it tripped. When I turned it back on I heard the pump make a noise for about 1 second then nothing.

My pump is a one-speed Hayward. It's about 8 years old.

I read the thread "My pump won't start - I'm panicking!" but could use a few next steps for the not-so-handy prior to me calling the pool guy.

Next steps?

I just went out this morning and tried to turn it on. The pump made a humming noise for 5-6 seconds then never turned on.

Do not think that it is electrical as everything else is working.

Any thoughts?

First things first-- make sure the pump shaft turns freely. You may have to use a screw driver or hex key to check that. If it does then test the capacitor. There's a you tube video how to do that. Make sure you remove power at the circuit breaker. The video shows you should remove the capacitor, but if you disconnect the wires then short it out. You can do it while still on the pump. You will need an analog multimeter (they're not very expensive)- a digital won't work. My capacitor replacement early spring cost me about $18 at a local electtical supply store. When I checked it a month ago when I had pump problems, it was good so I ended up replacing the whole pump. I could have just replaced the motor, but the seal plate had cracks in it so it wasn't going to be cost effective. But checking the capacitor is easy. I had called a pool repair guy first. But the first thing that came out of his mouth was replace the motor. My pump lasted another 5 months, so it was worth it.

Before I do anything else, I just went out and touched the motor while the filter was set to run. It is HOT! I shut down the system completely.

Does this mean that the motor has seized and therefore is completely shot?

If so, do I need an entire new pump or just a motor? How does this work? It is one piece or not? ]

Any other fixing advice before I call the pool guy?

How do I test to see if the motor shaft turns easily? I think that capacitor is at the back end of the pump but the propeller is closer to the big plastic part of the pump?

Any videos or instructions on how to test if the shafts turns easily?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. I checked the impeller by pulling the motor away from the pump. Hayward Northstar pumps don't use screws but instead use a locking collar that you turn. Checked impeller which moves freely. However my husband and I cannot get the collar back on. Basically the motor is still about 1/4 inch away from pump so can't get collar on to turn.

Anyone have any experience with this or know the trick to get it back on properly?

It was the capacitor. Had to call the pool people to get the motor back on the wet end. We did everything right except needed a lot more lube to go on the big o-ring and even some lube on the motor's plastic casing that slides into the wet part. Now we know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.