Purchased house with pool...completely clueless!

Sep 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
We are having issues with our pool at our new house. The water keeps turning cloudy/green, the vacuum either seems like it's sucking itself to the bottom of the pool or not at all and the pump/filter could or could not be working properly although it doesn't seem like it.

The size of your pool in gallons: we believe around 20,000...the deep end is around 7-8' (diving pool)
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground): in ground
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass: plaster
The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge): ??? No clue! How do I tell?
If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter: Hayward EcoStar variable speed
List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.: all I know is that we have 2 skimmers with the vacuum creepy crawly (we call her Vivian) in one skimmer.

Where do I even begin? So many issues and I don't know where to start!

I tested the water with strips from Leslie's...

FCl 3ppm (in the okay range)
TCl 3ppm (in the okay range)
Alk 180ppm (high?)
pH 7.8 (in the okay range)
TH 0 (I assume this is bad???)
CyA somewhere between 40-100ppm (in the okay range)

I am in Dallas is that matters and have plenty of pics or can take more/video if needed.

Please advise! Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Darci

Testing with guess strips is useless. Unless you have good numbers from one of the recommended test kits (see pool school link above) anything any of us say will be a guess.

Reading Pool School and ordering a test kit are your first steps.

Take photos of your equipment and post them. Folks will identify what you have and help you learn how to maintain them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.