Winterizing in ground pools in Houston,TX. Do Ineed to do anything special?

Nov 13, 2013
Pearland, TX
Hello all new pool owner here, getting ready for winter. I was wondering if there was anything special I had to do before winter hits. I live close Houston,Texas so our winters are really mild. We do have a couple of days were we will hit freezing temperatures and everyone freaks out (Pets, Plants and Pipes)

-Do I need to cover (with pipe insulation) my exposed pipes comming from my pool equipment?
-my jandy stealth pumps automatically turn on and will keep running if freezing temps hit (I'm guessing this is the built in freeze protection)

Is there anything else I can do? We do not use solar covers in this area of Texas at least none that I have seen.

It does not get cold enough down here ( I am in New Orleans ) to truly winterize your pool. Just run your pump when it gets below freezing. You freeze protection should actually do this for you. My Jandy only tipped the freeze protection once last year. You will need to stay on top of your chemistry year round. Your plaster will last much longer if you stay on top of the chemistry. I see you have an inline chlorinator. Are you using tablets? If so you need to read up on pool school and stop using them as your CYA will go through the roof. Saw your build by the way. Beautiful pool!

I'm in Dallas and I never winterize or close my pool. The temps would have to get REALLY cold for you to have a problem, and we simply don't get that cold. Goign on 4 years now, no issues, and I was here when the whole "Super Bowl" winter happened. :)

The good news is that everything goes in slow motion over the winter. Chlorine usage goes down to almost nothing.

Awesome, thanks Y'all. This has put my mind at ease.

Yea I'm using an inline chlorinator, CYA is in check for now @ 30. I've noticed we get much splashout during swims and rainstorms adding much fresh water. I believe this has kept my CYA pretty low. I've been using pucks for at least 5 months now with no issues and I shocked twice so far using hypo (leslies). I did remove the nature two cartridge.

This helps us too-- just one more question or two: So, we continue to run the pump through the winter and manage the chemicals as needed-- I assume. Is a pool cover necessary in Dallas, Texas for the winter or does keeping it "open" mean business as usual? Would a leaf bagger be necessary? Just trying to figure this all out. The pool closing that is posted is for people in really cold climates--

Thanks---

Only reason you'd need a cover is for leaf issues if you want. I just keep mine skimmed off the top as they fall with a screen cover over the skimmer face to keep from clogging and run as normal. Just remember to run the pump when temps hit freezing or below.

Sorry to bring up such a old thread, but I'm also in Dallas. Just installed the IntelliChem. Do you guys take out the probes and all that jazz if your not really shutting down the pool? Does the PH probe still function in colder temps?

Do you still run the pump when its not freezing temps? Can I save some electricity and just stop running the pumps?

Also, I realized the swg doesn't work below 60 degrees. I travel a lot and won't have time for liquid chlorine. Is chlorine pucks ok? Now I know not to buy the copper ones at costco. Any other recommendations without the copper? I know it will raise my CYA, but I'll just do a partial water removal in the spring.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.