Pool Renovation - Tucson, AZ

Gilrock

LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2014
Oro Valley, AZ
We decided to do major renovations to our pool. Here's a summary of the work to be performed:

Resurface interior with Pebblesheen Blue Granite.
Remove/replace all interior tiles and add handholds.
Resurface decking.
Remove/replace waterfall with new rock.
Remove rock wall behind pool and extend planter 11'.
Expand deck area near the west gate entrance making wrought iron fence go straight to block wall. Dirt to be excavated and new decking poured in that back corner.
Drill hole in deck near skimmer to install auto-fill valve that will have a round skimmer type cover.
Drill interior hole near skimmer to install a dedicated suction line.
Replace light niche.
Install 250W color logic light.
Replace all drain and return fittings.
Install new Hayward Ecostar variable speed pump.
Replace 40' electrical run from house to filter panel.

Here's the latest photo I have to be my before construction photo:
Pool_060514.jpg

And to my surprise they actually showed up yesterday to drain the pool and started working this morning on the original scheduled start date. They started at 6:15am and by lunch time my wife sent me this photo....looks like they already chipped out the entire pool interior, removed all the tiles, and removed the waterfall.
Pool_chipout.jpg

Yeah my wife said they started running 3 jack-hammers at 6:15am. It was so loud her and my daughter had trouble talking to each other inside the house. I'm the sure the neighbors weren't happy but at least the jack-hammers will only be run a day or two.

The pool builder for the renovation is Valley Oasis. I've really liked the folks I've dealt with there so far.

The original pool was built by Patio Pools and Spas so we went to them first. After waiting for the first appointment to get here I left work early to be home and they were a no show. I called the next day and was told we weren't showing in their computer system even though I had an appointment card. So they rescheduled for the following Monday. Then on that day the guy called ready to come by four hours early so I wasn't able to be there so he came anyways and my wife handled it. The estimate wasn't bad but they didn't seem interested in the extra work we wanted done and my wife didn't really like the person that came to the house. The estimate was basically a few numbers and boxes checked on a checklist that I could have done in 10 minutes. The estimate we got from Valley Oasis you could tell had a lot more time and thought put into it and we both liked the person that visited to look over the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have several photos showing some of the progress over the past month. Like most pool companies they tend to show up and do a bunch of work and then don't show up for several days but I haven't been sweating it since I knew I wouldn't be swimming in it this season anymore.

Fence has been torn down and the rocks are being laid in place to build the new waterfall feature.
IMG_0073.jpg

Closer view of all the rocks placed for the new waterfall.
IMG_0074.jpg

Mortar is in place to lock in the waterfall rocks.
IMG_0075.jpg

Dirt removed for the new planter and deck area.
IMG_0076.jpg

Planter wall is built.
IMG_0093.jpg

And more photos of the renovation...

Side view of the planter. In the corner I wanted this area to have the planter closed off to the wall so they agreed to come back to change that later.
IMG_0094.jpg

Most of the border tiles were laid today.
IMG_0113.jpg

New pump is installed with some of the plumbing modifications. I'm complaining about the 2 valves that aren't replaced because I thought they said that was included and if not I wanted to pay to have them replaced because it makes no sense to have 95% of the pool looking brand new and have these 2 valves and piping looking 25 years old.
IMG_0115.jpg

Electrical work started...the run from the house that was rusted out is being completely replaced.
IMG_0116.jpg

Can you even disconnect that pump if you needed to? With no pipe available, next time there is a problem you are going to have to replace the backwash valve too. Why not move the filter over 2 feet and have some space? Or they could have put the filter on the left. Too late now though. No idea why they always do this.

Can you even disconnect that pump if you needed to? With no pipe available, next time there is a problem you are going to have to replace the backwash valve too. Why not move the filter over 2 feet and have some space? Or they could have put the filter on the left. Too late now though. No idea why they always do this.

They just installed the pump where the old one was sitting. I'm not even sure how he had enough pipe to do this change out. When we had pump issues before I think they just changed out the rear end section. I'm hoping it will be many years before I have to worry about this piping arrangement. I can probably do any work that needs to be done. Heck I asked about getting the other 2 valves replaced and they wanted $350. That sounded a little high since its work I know I can do.

Yeah the job supervisor replied and told me they were planning on painting all that plumbing to make it look new. I didn't know they were going to do that. So luckily they've been pretty good to work with because I'm realizing not every detail of what we wanted was detailed in the contract. Like it just said they would install an autofill in the deck but the contract didn't specify a location. We had verbally discussed it during the initial evaluation. So partway through I found out they were wanting to put it to the left side of my light niche because that is where they had already cut out a slice of my deck. So I was prepared to argue over the placement because that was going to place it in a higher traffic area and I wanted it to be over closer to the skimmer since there was already a skimmer plate in the deck over there and not as much foot traffic on that end of the pool. I was surprised when they responded "no problem we'll take care of that". A couple days later they cutout a small slice in the deck over near my shower head where we wanted it placed.

Quite a bit of work was done this week. All the electrical work was completed and the new light installed. They ran all the new plumbing for the new suction line and installed the autofill. They formed up the new deck area and the concrete truck is here right now about to pour the decking.

The new deck area about to be poured.
IMG_0117.jpg

The new autofill area about to be poured as well.
IMG_0119.jpg

The plumbing at the pump is completed and they painted it. I asked the guy doing the work and he said he could remove and replace this pump leaving the backwash valve assembly in place.
IMG_0120.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.