DE to Cartridge Filter Conversion Question...

Jan 18, 2014
Lakeway, Texas
Howdy Gang,

I am removing a 16+ year old Pentair FNS 60 DE filter from our pool. She just won't quit leaking, even with new a new band, o-rings, etc. I'm guessing somehow time in the hot Texas sun has caused the fiberglass case halves to be somewhat out of round with each other (happens to a lot of us down here!) and age (both mine and the filter's ;-)) has caused me to cast my eyes elsewhere for my filtration needs while I prepare a proper goodbye ceremony to pass the old filter into it's reward up in "Filter Heaven".

For ease of cleaning, low water usage, etc., I've decided on ditching the DE method and going with a cartridge filter also by Pentair-a CCP 420.

Here's the question-the old filter began leaking pretty severely, and in the process of discovery, troubleshooting, disassembly, etc, I've managed to deposit a fine layer of DE all over the pool bottom. I've read on the website that DE in a cartridge filter is mostly a no-no. Some exceptions? Or, strictly verboten?

Options to get the DE out? I could try to re-assemble the old DE filter and have one last go at slurping up the DE with it, but it leaks...BADLY. Enough to make me a little nervous about it. The "easier" way to go for me would be to just plumb in the new filter, just use it to suck up what DE got deposited into the pool and just commit to a rigorous disassembly/cleaning regimen until all the DE is outta the pool AND out of the filter (if possible).

Which is the better choice of plans?

Thanks in advance,

Rob S.
Austin, Texas

My understanding was that DE in a cartridge filter was a definite no-no. It is sharp and can bed itself into the filter cartridge so that it won't wash back out. Some people add fiber to their cartridge filters for added water clarity but never DE.

Can you vacuum to waste? If it's not plumbed for that you could assemble the old filter with out any grids in it, and set it it backwash. That would send water directly to waste. Your leaks shouldn't be as much problem with little pressure in the filter.

Chief,

Good suggestion, but I don't have a vacuum hose or attachments anymore, so would have to scrounge some up. Might call a neighbor, see if he has any. I've demo'ed the old filter out, but have left the multiport valve plumbed in for now with it set to "recirc" just to keep the pool water moving over some chlorine tabs I'm using up before going to bleach. Trying to keep the pool chemistry from imploding and my pool turning green while the filter is OTS.

Could put the old filter back on pretty easy, as it just has the "screw on" unions that were used. Just leaks like a sieve...but probably not as much as backwashing to waste.

Sounds like DE in the cartridge would be a bad idea, which is what I needed (but didn't want) to hear!

Thanks,

Rob

Sorry to be meddlesome but you really can't manage a pool really well without a manual vac. You may seldom need it, but when you do (like now) it is a very cheap part of your system and can save you a lot of time and trouble.

I would vac the DE into the filter and then clean the filter as best I could. I think you'll still get good service from it.

Definitely beg, borrow, or steal a vacuum of some type in the interim, and suck that DE out of there. I went through the exact same thing you're in the process of doing...and vacuumed pretty much all of the old DE from the pool bottom before I plumbed in the new filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.