Brand New Owner - I have gone from green to cloudy. Please help me dial it in.

expo

Aug 30, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Update 9/15: I have a K2006 test kit and posted numbers on page 2

I have owned the home for less than a week. It is ~18k gallons with a new vinyl liner.

The pool became a swamp in the past couple weeks. I only have a 6 way test strip kit while I wait for Amazon to restock the good kits.

I have only treated with chlorine. I have been trying to SLAM the pool but only using bleach.

I am sorry I don't have all the previous results. Here is where I am at:

Hardness 250
TC2
FC2
PH 7.2
Alk 80
Stabalizer pretty near 0

I used 4 gallons of bleach 2 days ago, 4 gallons last night and I put in a gallon this morning. The pump has been running for ~2 days straight. I pulled out the filter which looks new and hosed all the gunk out of it this morning.

Someone please help.

I am heading to the store later. Can someone please tell me what to get and how much to use? I have read all the introductory threads about pool chemistry but to be honest, with this new house I have been tackling a thousand projects and my brain is turning to mush.

Thanks

Last edited:
Without a test kit we would only be guessing. The best you can do for now,is put a couple of gallons of bleach in a day, but even that is really futile.

Why wait on Amazon? The better value is the TF-100 at http://tftestkits.net. It may "seem" more expensive, but you get more of the chemicals/reagents you use and less (or none) of the stuff you rarely or ever need. They generally ship the same day from NC so you should have it quickly in FL.

Once we see valid numbers you will be amazed at the number of folks who will jump in to help.

Resist the urge to go to the pool store. They promise a lot but deliver little more than a lightening of your wallet.

Welcome to TFP

Without a test kit we would only be guessing. The best you can do for now,is put a couple of gallons of bleach in a day, but even that is really futile.

Why wait on Amazon? The better value is the TF-100 at http://tftestkits.net. It may "seem" more expensive, but you get more of the chemicals/reagents you use and less (or none) of the stuff you rarely or ever need. They generally ship the same day from NC so you should have it quickly in FL.

Once we see valid numbers you will be amazed at the number of folks who will jump in to help.

Resist the urge to go to the pool store. They promise a lot but deliver little more than a lightening of your wallet.

Welcome to TFP

:goodpost:

I guess I will continue with the chlorine because at least it is not green any longer and go from there.

You're on the right track. Once you have the testkit you'll be golden. Dave who owns this site is the owner of TFtestkits.net - He's a good guy, and makes a very nice test kit. I'd suggest you buy it with the speedstir, and probably the XL option since you are going to burn through test reagents at first. I have no affiliation, just a happy customer.

You're on the right track. Once you have the testkit you'll be golden. Dave who owns this site is the owner of TFtestkits.net - He's a good guy, and makes a very nice test kit. I'd suggest you buy it with the speedstir, and probably the XL option since you are going to burn through test reagents at first.

Thanks. I don't know what stabalizer is but I am going to see if Lowe's has any while I am there. Their chlorine is 11% I think and about $2.50 a gallon. Same price I paid for 5% bleach somewhere else.

Stabilizer is called CYA (cyanuric acid). Don't buy any just yet. If I had a dollar I'd bet the previous owner used Dichlor or Trichlor which both have CYA in them...it's highly possible your CYA level is insanely high. Don't trust test strips...they are sometimes accurate and sometimes worthless.

Once you have a proper test kit, you'll be able to test each important level in water chemistry and adjust it as needed. This forum is a excellent place to get help. My pool is new, this is my first year with it, but I can say without a doubt that I have the best looking water on the block. All because I've read and accepted what the guys on this forum say about Chemistry. If you haven't read everything in pool school at least 3x, I suggest you do that. It's helpful, it will be even more helpful once you have a test kit and can put it to practice.

Just a suggestion, but you really don't want to buy anything other than bleach/chlorine until you get a test kit and see what the pool needs. Most folks need to get rid of stabilizer, not add it.

Save your $$ until you know what you need.

Stabilizer is Cyanuric acid. It binds to chlorine to keep the sun from burning it off. Lowes should have it. Probably outside in their lawn in garden section with their other pool stuff. I think is about a 3 lb container. Walmart is a couple bucks cheaper last time I checked. Check pool math to see exactly how much you will need. I think 6 lbs would be a good start.

Stabilizer is Cyanuric acid. It binds to chlorine to keep the sun from burning it off. Lowes should have it. Probably outside in their lawn in garden section with their other pool stuff. I think is about a 3 lb container. Walmart is a couple bucks cheaper last time I checked. Check pool math to see exactly how much you will need. I think 6 lbs would be a good start.
how is 6 pounds a good start when they don't have a test kit and don't know how much is in the water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A little more info I think was missing from my original post.

The home was a flip. The pool was empty. The buyer put in a liner, filled the pool and listed it. The water was crystal clear when I saw it. Two weeks later we had a contract and the pool was green.

They shocked it which made it better and I have been adding chlorine since.

oh ok. You can get the CYA from there, but I'd expect they are going to be higher than say walmart.

They may try to sell you the K2005 and tell you it's basically the same as the K2006. It's not. (I'd go the easy route and buy the TF kit...it really is worth the money).

They will likely tell you things like "you're using bleach? OMG, don't do that, it will bleach your liner". Which is false. Chlorine is chlorine...just a heads up.

Since it's a recent fill, you are correct, you will need CYA. Read up on the recommended ways of adding CYA. I wouldn't get too carried away adding it while your SLAMing the pool. All it will do is require a higher FC level. Having said that, I tried to follow the recommendation to not add CYA to my pool for 1mo after plastering. I lasted 2 days. The sun was destroying the Chlorine at an insane rate. I've never been to Florida, but I assume your sun is like our sun. So a little CYA would be wise IMO. Use pool math to calculate how much you'll need to get up to 30-40ppm. add that much, then wait a week and test the level. See if you're at 30-40. Always err on the side of caution, don't add too much, only way to get rid of it is to dump precious water. During that week assume that your CYA is at the level you aimed for. Based your SLAM level on that CYA. Mine only took 2 days to show up(I was aggressive and added it to my sand filter), but many many people say that a week is the golden number when following the recommended method of sock in front of return.

Thanks for that advice. I'm not easily intimidated by sales people. If they have that Leslie's test kit that is recommended in this forum I will buy it. Short of that I will order something online. I just did not want to wait a week to get my pool in order.

I am going to buy the cya because it is a hike for me to go buy it later but I will not add it in till I get a decent test kit.

oh ok. You can get the CYA from there, but I'd expect they are going to be higher than say walmart.

They may try to sell you the K2005 and tell you it's basically the same as the K2006. It's not. (I'd go the easy route and buy the TF kit...it really is worth the money).

They will likely tell you things like "you're using bleach? OMG, don't do that, it will bleach your liner". Which is false. Chlorine is chlorine...just a heads up.

Since it's a recent fill, you are correct, you will need CYA. Read up on the recommended ways of adding CYA. I wouldn't get too carried away adding it while your SLAMing the pool. All it will do is require a higher FC level. Having said that, I tried to follow the recommendation to not add CYA to my pool for 1mo after plastering. I lasted 2 days. The sun was destroying the Chlorine at an insane rate. I've never been to Florida, but I assume your sun is like our sun. So a little CYA would be wise IMO. Use pool math to calculate how much you'll need to get up to 30-40ppm. add that much, then wait a week and test the level. See if you're at 30-40. Always err on the side of caution, don't add too much, only way to get rid of it is to dump precious water. During that week assume that your CYA is at the level you aimed for. Based your SLAM level on that CYA. Mine only took 2 days to show up(I was aggressive and added it to my sand filter), but many many people say that a week is the golden number when following the recommended method of sock in front of return.

One of our goals here is to save you money. Pool stores are generally more expensive and come with the high pressure to buy stuff you don't need. Go into Leslie's and they will tell you you have to add algaecide to your green pool. That along with several other things and you will leave there a couple of hundred dollars lighter.

Some Leslie's do stock the K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit. You will pay more, but you sometimes pay extra for expediency. As mrcarcrazy said, do NOT let them sell you the K-2005. Sometimes Leslie's has their own brand, but they are Taylor kits. If it doesn't say FAS-DPD don't buy it. The common one they sell is a DPD kit and it's not the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that advice. I'm not easily intimidated by sales people. If they have that Leslie's test kit that is recommended in this forum I will buy it. Short of that I will order something online. I just did not want to wait a week to get my pool in order.

I am going to buy the cya because it is a hike for me to go buy it later but I will not add it in till I get a decent test kit.

One of our goals here is to save you money. Pool stores are generally more expensive and come with the high pressure to buy stuff you don't need. Go into Leslie's and they will tell you you have to add algaecide to your green pool. That along with several other things and you will leave there a couple of hundred dollars lighter.

Some Leslie's do stock the K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit. You will pay more, but you sometimes pay extra for expediency. As mrcarcrazy said, do NOT let them sell you the K-2005. Sometimes Leslie's has their own brand, but they are Taylor kits. If it doesn't say FAS-DPD don't buy it. The common one they sell is a DPD kit and it's not the same.

- - - Updated - - -

You saved me. I almost bought their mega kit but it was only a dpd not fas dpd. Time to order online.

Sent by supernatural powers

how is 6 pounds a good start when they don't have a test kit and don't know how much is in the water?

I wasn't trying to take away from what anyone else was saying. I was adding to the conversation. I told the OP what stabilizer was, that the store they were headed to probably had it, where to get it cheaper, and how much they should probably buy. Maybe I should've clarified a little more. You and others already said to get a test kit, which I 1000% agree with. I didn't feel that every single post needed to say the same thing. I also recommended using pool math to find the appropriate amount to add. Doing that requires an accurate pool volume and current cya be entered. 18000 gallons will require 6 lbs of cya to go from 0-40. I would recommend probably start at 4lbs to be safe. You have to buy 6 lbs to get that if they only have the 3 lb containers that I have seen there. That is of course after verifying that the cya is truly 0. Sorry for any confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome EXPO. I was getting nervous reading through the thread that you were going to get ripped off at Leslies. Good for you walking out! I blew $800 there when I bought my house last summer before I found this forum. $68 for a TF100 and I haven't been back to Leslie's since! Order that sucker up, get a list of test results and post them here in the forum. We'll have you back to a crystal clear pool in a couple of weeks.

Print out the SLAM instructions in pool school, you'll be doing that once we know your CYA level and Ph is 7.2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.